Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index Ontario WWII Re-enactors
This forum is where WWII Re-enactors can share their knowledge

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AGM Sten MkII

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yorkie
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: AGM Sten MkII Reply with quote

Lee has prodded me to do this, since I've been putting it off for a while.

Now, I'm not very good at reviews of all the intricate details of the gearbox internals and suchlike, I just use the bloody things. So don't even ask me about barrel diameters, bushings, hopups or gearbox versions, I'm as clueless as a pork pie salesman in Jerusalem as far as all that goes. This is just about how it feels and performs.

It is an all-metal construction (I highly doubt that it is steel) so there is a fair amount of weight to it, not far off the real thing. Looks-wise it is very basic and workmanlike in appearance, again just as the real thing was, definitely no German over-engineering here, very simply made.

Getting to the battery compartment can be a pain in the arse, the buttstock and rear sight ring have to be completely unscrewed and disassembled. If you're like me, a sausage fingered clumsy bastard, you have to be very careful taking out the pissy little M2 screw that secures the rear sight ring. I've been lucky up to now. I fully expect to lose the little bleeder before next year. However, once you've done that you connect up the 7.4v LiPo it came with, slide that back into the battery compartment and replace the sight ring and buttstock. Good to go.

It is a compact weapon that shoulders surprisingly comfortably, when you rotate the magazine housing from its transport to loading position it locks in place solidly. The single 50rd metal cased magazine provided with it fits very well and slides home with a very satisfying 'thunk'. There is no safety or single fire option on this gun, trigger discipline is a must. I emptied a whole magazine in less than 3 seconds, a ROF in the region of about 1200 rounds per minute. AGM MP40 magazines are fully compatible with the AGM MkII Sten. Can't vouch for the King Arms 110 rd mid-caps for the MP40 though.

This gun has now gone through three games, Crash's Bridge Too Far game, a lot of skirmishing in the Hamilton game and Battle of the Bulge game last week. Battery life seems to be excellent, I didn't charge it between the first two games, and it only started to drop off slightly at the end of the Hamilton game.

In the first game I couldn't tell much about accuracy, on account of it being dark and not being able to see a sodding thing. All I know about that night is that I was going through mags. Fast. Even with 3-rd bursts. This thing empties itself quicker than you do the morning after 10 pints and a Vindaloo. The Hamilton game was the nice surprise. Lots of short skirmishing showed that you could get yourself into a lot lower prone position compared with using the Thompson (a bit obvious, I know) while still returning fire and not getting nailed in the noggin. The sight picture is certainly nothing to write home about when you first use it, past 100 feet or so the front sight will cover your target, but once you've gotten used to it, it is surprisingly accurate. I managed to nail a guy ducking out from a tree at about 100 feet distance with a couple of 3-rd bursts. Lucky? Probably, but at least the BB's weren't straying too far from the aim point.

I haven't officially chronied it as yet, but based on the fact that it outranges my stock 280 FPS TM Thompson by a long chalk I would guess it is in the 350 FPS range with .20's.

So far so good right? Now the bad points. I have mentioned it before, that the barrel shroud is held on with yet another pissy M2 screw. If you put a sling straight on it, the shroud will be off and your Sten will be clattering merrily to the floor. Put at least another couple of screws in there just to be sure. The only other thing is the odd mis-feed, though I think it is just the piston didn't fully finish it's stroke so a BB didn't load. Pull the trigger again after a dry shot and it fires perfectly well. It happened twice this past Sunday, but I'm not that concerned about it. Maybe someone here has a better idea of diagnosis.

Overall, it it has good range, good ROF, reasonable accuracy, is comfortable to use and as well as that, it looks chuffing good. Yes it has its bad points but I have to say I'm very happy up to now, regardless of those bad points.

(Re-enactor)Sgt. Glynn Tromans, 3 Tp, 3rd Para Sqdn, RE.
MrEvolution
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good read Glynn, thanks.

On a note about LiPo batteries for those unlearned in them, once the gun quits firing, DO NOT try to get extra shots off. This will ruin your battery. Balance charge the battery and your good to go again.
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well written and very enjoyable to read Glynn. Thanks for doing it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: