Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index Ontario WWII Re-enactors
This forum is where WWII Re-enactors can share their knowledge

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HFC Mauser M712 Pistol
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdkfz234

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: HFC Mauser M712 Pistol Reply with quote

I just received this pistol this week, so here's a brief, no-frills review about it:

The HFC Mauser M712 pistol, also known as the 'Broomhandle' because of its pistol grip, is a heavy piece. It is constructed entirely out of metal with only a few plastic parts in the non-critical areas. The grips have an excellent wood finish on them and are difficult to determine whether they are plastic or actual wood.

The firing mechanism of this gun is extremely simple because it is a non-blowback pistol. The full metal construction only adds to its durability, especially if using propane.

The sights are the only negative aspect of this gun. The rear sight is nothing more than a v-shaped notch that is 2mm tall and wide. Needless to say, fast target acquisition will be very difficult when using the sights. Functionality aside, the rear sight is a nicely replicated ladder-type sight, with markings between 50 and 1000 (meters perhaps?).

Unlike some reviews I have read about this pistol, the trigger pull is not all that bad. It is long and a bit heavy since pulling the trigger not only cocks the hammer back, but also chambers a BB into the barrel. The gun was not as loud as I expected it to be, which is both a positive and negative aspect.

The design of the magazine is not reloading friendly. If you're not careful, the BBs may simply fall through the other side of loading nozzle and not fall into the magazine. This problem should be able to be solved with a litte ingenuity.

The next time I get out to a field, I should be able to measure how fast it shoots. I should also be able to set the hop-up for longer distances, something I can't do given the limitations of my basement.

Overall, I think this gun is an excellent buy, considering that its price puts it in competition with plastic TM pistols. As a WW2 replica weapon, it's invaluable. I like to think of it as the challenger to the TM 1911. Although other German WW2 pistols are available, such as the P38 and Luger, the HFC M712 can't be beat for price, quality and performance.

If I ever get a chance to purchase the wooden stock/holster for this gun, I may decide to use it as my primary weapon and sell my Thompson.

More updates and pictures to follow!
Dogfood
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds pretty good. I was also thinking of getting this gun but I didn't hear of anyone owning one untill now. Where did you buy it from? And I think I know somebody that will buy that Tompson off you when you don't want it anymore. Wink
sdkfz234

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, I'm still undecided about selling my Thompson. I still need to find out if the Mauser has equal or better range. The only thing the Thompson has going for it, is rate of fire and magazine capacity. FPS with 0.25g BBs is pretty low.

I'm basically faced with two options.
1) Keep my Thompson and don't buy the wooden stock
2) Sell the Thompson and buy a wooden stock and LOTS of magazines

Another thing, if you are looking for a place to buy holsters for the Mauser, I suggest www.marstar.ca
They have quite a few holsters for the Mauser, with and without the option to carry the stock as well. I'm considering the "Winston Churchill" holster if I don't get a stock.
MrEvolution
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you talk to me if u wanna sell Very Happy
Possibly interested. just gotta get past them mean things known as parents.
sdkfz234

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Performance related update:

Up until this point, I've been filling up the magazine with about a 2-3 second shot of duster gas. During those subsequent tests, I've only been able to fire off approximately 1 magazine, or 30 rounds.

Just today, I gave the magazine two 5-second shots of duster gas, and the performance was MUCH better!

I was able to fire off two whole magazines, before I ran out of BBs and was too lazy to get some more. So, for the heck of it, I just kept dry-firing to see how many more "shots" the magazine had left. After about a minute or so, not to mention a freezing magazine, I went back and filled up the magazine with another 30 rounds. I was able to fire off these rounds as well, plus a few more from the next reload before the gas was gone.

I know for certain that with a properly and completely filled magazine, this gun is capable of at least 90 rounds per fill, and I would wager that it could probably have fired 120 or 150 rounds in total, if I had been firing BBs the entire time and not just gas halfway through the test.
MrEvolution
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn dude, thats pretty awesome for gas.
Dogfood
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What brand of Duster gas are you using, and where did you get it?
sdkfz234

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using MG Chemicals Super Duster 134a.

I bought two cans from an electronics supply store in Waterloo over the summer. I still have one can left, and I probably won't be using it since I picked up a propane adaptor for my Mauser.

I believe someone was selling cans of this duster on ASC for around $20/can? I picked up mine for $15 and its the 450g size.
sdkfz234

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update (more bragging):

I can confirm that a fully charged magazine is capable of 150 shots. I was able to empty an entire pistol magazine BB loader (approx 110 rounds) in addition to a fully loaded magazine.

Also tried out the "pop-can" chronograph. The gun was able to punch through one side of the can, and left a moderate dent on the other. This puts the velocity around 290-300 FPS, and this test was done with a 0.2g BB and 134a duster gas.

It also performs well under "rapid-fire conditions". Despite the fact that the magazine becomes noticably cold, it never failed to fire. In contrast, if my Glock magazine ever become as cold as the M712 did, the valve would have stuck open and vented all the gas.

I shouldn't say that the gun fired every single time actually. There are some times when the BB would only shoot out a few feet, or the gun would not fire at all and the BB just rolled out the barrel. However, these seem to be isolated incidents because the shots before and after the misfire do not seem to experience a misfire.

Finally, in my opinion this gun looks much better with the short, flush fitting magazine, instead of the standard 30 round one. I would argue that with the shorter magazine, it looks as nice as the Luger, especially since this one has wooden grips.
sdkfz234

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts on this gun after taking it to a game. Thankfully, I had a decent holster which allowed me to carry this heavy piece without too much difficulty.

Power, accuracy and range were very good. Some folks were unfortunate enough to be hit by this gun, a few in the head. With propane, I was able to get two magazines worth of bbs before reloading, although I didn't exactly keep track. The gun shoots with a loud "pop" and a cloud of gas out the barrel.

Although I very much like the look of the short magazine, the long (33 round) magazine is a must if this gun is to be used as a primary weapon. For this role, a wooden shoulder stock may be useful too, and I have one due to arrive next week (review and pics to follow). While I was able to hold my own against full-auto AEGs, the power of the weapon can probably be best applied under milsim conditions.
lawdog

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I ask where you acquired this beauty from?

LD
sdkfz234

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought mine from AASurplus.ca. It must be a popular gun, because they've re-stocked and have 5 now. I originally asked Mark to order these and he brought in 3 with that first order.

I'm thinking I may buy another as "back-up" to the first one I have. However, I've taken mine apart, inspected the internals and I doubt it will suffer any malfunctions.
MrEvolution
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But how could you pass on the Dual wielding?
lawdog

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdkfz234 wrote:
My thoughts on this gun after taking it to a game. Thankfully, I had a decent holster which allowed me to carry this heavy piece without too much difficulty.

Power, accuracy and range were very good. Some folks were unfortunate enough to be hit by this gun, a few in the head. With propane, I was able to get two magazines worth of bbs before reloading, although I didn't exactly keep track. The gun shoots with a loud "pop" and a cloud of gas out the barrel.

Although I very much like the look of the short magazine, the long (33 round) magazine is a must if this gun is to be used as a primary weapon. For this role, a wooden shoulder stock may be useful too, and I have one due to arrive next week (review and pics to follow). While I was able to hold my own against full-auto AEGs, the power of the weapon can probably be best applied under milsim conditions.

How did you derive your holster solution and which was the holster that failed?

LD
sdkfz234

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um... I don't believe there was a holster problem, and hence no solution was required. Unless you're asking me what kind of holster I have, in which case it's a leather holster made for the U.S forces in Manila during the Spanish-American war. I bought it from eBay and I'm uncertain if its original or repro. It doesn't completely close, but I've been told to use some kind of leather conditioner in order to stretch it and make it fit. However, that might not be necessary for me anymore because...

I just got my wooden stock/holster today and I love it. It puts the pistol at just the right spot when shouldered and is a very stable platform. The gun fits perfectly inside, however I will have to do a little work in order to make the stock securely lock into place on the pistol. It's a pretty tight fit right now, but I might as well take advantage of the locking mechanism. I'll post pics when I have time to take them and find a solution to posting them as well. I will probably update the sale thread for the leather holster, since there is definitely no longer a need to keep the hip holster anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: