Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index Ontario WWII Re-enactors
This forum is where WWII Re-enactors can share their knowledge

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M1A1 Thompson Reviews.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrEvolution
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: M1A1 Thompson Reviews. Reply with quote

Here's Two Reviews I know of on the Thompson.

Review on Redwolf:
http://redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/ReviewDetail?reviewID=23

Review on Arnies Airsoft:
http://arniesairsoft.co.uk/?filnavn=/reviews/thompson_m1a1/thompson_m1a1_review.htm
sdkfz234

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Thompson Field Review Reply with quote

Most of the reviews out for for airsoft guns in general talk about the looks, performance and realism of the gun, but very few provide info about how well the gun performs in an actual game (at least the reviews I've read).

Anyways, I hope to provide some general feedback and experience during my first game with my Thompson (at Flag Raider's old field).

Despite the gun weighing over 3kg, mostly due to the significant amount of metal, the gun was not too heavy a burden to carry around, even without a sling. I believe this to be partly due to the fact that the pistol grip of the Thompson is located almost central to the entire length of the gun. Together with the fact that the (large) battery is stored in the fixed stock, it makes for an excellent, although not equal, weight distribution. Comes in handy when firing one-handed and running/dodging BBs.

The mostly metal construction is certainly a plus in the forest environment of the field. I never had to worry about scratching it or anything. Hell, I sometimes even used it to clear twigs and branches out of my way. The only minor complaint I have is that for an SMG, its rather large and the long magazines got caught sometimes.

Personally, I've found that the most comfortable way to hold the Thompson with your off-hand it by the magazine, like it was a vertical fore-grip, instead of using the "wooden" fore-grips. It does not force you to extend your arms as much, which can be tiring just holding like that (for me personally). Another complaint would be the blocky design of the pistol grip. The ergonomics of that aren't the best, and a pair of gloves improves the comfort significantly.

The design of the shoulder stock and the rear sights means that you can easily use the iron sights while wearing googles. Truthfully, there isn't much you could do if you couldn't, since scope mounts aren't really available and would be totally out of place.

The range and accuracy of the Thompson are difficult for me to discuss at this point. There are a bunch of explainations/excuses/conditions which caused this, but I basically spent the whole day shooting with hop-up off. It never struck me as odd because I figured that the 0.25g BBs in a stock gun would not travel far anyways. Although I'm disappointed that I was unable to use the gun at it full (stock) potential, I was partially satisified with the performance of the gun in non-hop-up form and I can rest easier knowing that there is still unlocked potential and that upgrades will not be necessary at this point in time.
MrEvolution
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice read, thats what Ive been looking for!

Hows the 265 FPS treating you? that seems wimpy to me, or is it?
sdkfz234

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, despite my noob mistake of not properly adjusting the hop-up, I did manage a few confirmed kills that day.

Unfortunately, there wasn't a chronograph available, so I wasn't able to get an actual measurement of the FPS with 0.25g BBs. As a SMG, especially in WW2 milsim games where all rifles are limited to semi-auto only, I don't think that the stock FPS is much of a hinderance.

A common opinion that people have expressed is that FPS alone does not define the performance of the gun. Personally, I think a gun would be more useful if it could shoot farther and straighter rather than a gun that shoots fast but with a short range or inconsistently.

While I would love nothing more than to upgrade mine to somewhere around 350fps, opening the gearbox and making those upgrades scares the hell out of me.
MrEvolution
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also looking to upgrade to 350 fps haha, when I get my gun of course. my parents are anti airsoft Neutral
theres a few gun doc's that can upgrade on ASC. check out there.
sdkfz234

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but I believe they are located in Toronto mostly. If I'm going to pay money for someone else to upgrade my gun (which I'm more than willing to if I know that it will be done properly, something I can't guarentee if I fix it myself), I would also like to be able to watch and follow along. That way, hopefully I'd learn a thing or two about my gun and how to do future work myself.

Gearbox upgrades aside, I overheard someone say that a tightbore barrel could provide a 20FPS increase over stock. It seems to me that a new inner barrel would be much easier to install than a gearbox upgrade. Maybe a new hop-up bucking would help out as well. But like I said, I'm going to wait a few games until I fully understand what my Thompson is capable of and whether I need upgrades.
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used my Thompson as stock with .25 bbs and it has preformed well. Shoots straight and is very consistant. I was not planning to upgrade mine until something goes wrong with it... well, last weekend something went wrong with it and I have to open the mech box anyway so I might as well upgrade it at the same time. FNG (on the ASC forum) has written up and given me some great "how to" for the Thompson. I am converting them to PDF's and will post them when I'm done.

Last edited by leecas on Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrEvolution
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds good Lee. I would also benefit from that info Very Happy
sdkfz234

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

Looking forward to any mechbox info.
MrEvolution
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how are those PDF's coming?

question 2: What type of battery do you use lee?
FNG
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: FNG's M1A1 Thompson Review Reply with quote

This will be the first review I've ever written so bear with me.

First of all this will not be one of those "It came in the mail today. I was so excited. I lifted the lid to find......Blah, blah, blah" type of reviews. I'm just going to tell you how it works. How it feels. How I treat and use it and what I've done to it.

Mine is upgraded. Lets start with that. Anyone with opposable thumbs can upgrade this gun. You're not building a rocket. It's a toy gun.

I am in no way saying that it needs to be upgraded. I played with it in stock form for quite a while and it performed great. For a stock gun. Fire it beside a stock TM AK 47 and it seems to be the exact same. Later, I wanted a little more acuarccy at longer ranges so I upgraded it.

This is what I did:

Systema Metal Bushings (A must have)
Prometheus Non-Liner Spring MS110SP
Prometheus 6.03 EG Barrel ( 300mm )
Systema Spring Guide with Bearing for Gearbox Ver 6

That's it. I might throw in an airseal nozzle if I can ever find one but this is all I've done to it. I really don't believe in fancy pistons and piston heads. Or fancy cylinders and cylinder heads. Upgraded gears are a total waist of money in my opinion. I've put around 50,000 BBs through this gun and the gears and piston still look like new.

With these upgrades it shoots 370~375 fps with .20s. I use .25 or .28s. .20s are for the 'spray and pray' type shooters. I mostly use lowcaps or the 190 round midcaps so aiming at what I shoot at is a big part of my game. With .25 and .28s I can hit what I'm aiming at even at longer ranges.

Even upgraded. You will have no problem using it in cold weather. Well, you might but I haven't. I've used it all winter long with no problems. Although...if you see frost on the metal receiver...DO NOT LICK IT! Very bad....

Should you baby it? Up to you. I don't. I use it in the rain, snow, sub-zero temperatures and the only thing I do is swab the barrel out and throw a little silicone into the feed tube once in a while. I even have some nice rust patina forming on the metal parts.

So. On to cosmetics and such. How does it feel? Heavy and awkward at first but you get used to it. The only definite point I can make here is, well..find someone who has one and shoot it. You will like it or you won't.

If you can find them. The real butt and fore stock are a perfect fit. Just drill out the butt stock to fit your wiring and battery and they just screw them on like the plastic it comes with.

So there you have it. That's my review. My personal opinion. Anna was the first gun I bought (I named her after the pretty girl at the bank) and she will always be my most trusted and favorite.

So that's my review. If you have any questions. Feel free to PM me.
MrEvolution
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you just might wanna check on those rusty bits.
FNG
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Rust is good.
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrEvolution wrote:
question 2: What type of battery do you use lee?

I use an 8.4 1700 and it lasts about three days of game play then I recharge it.
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PDF for the Thompson upgrade has been posted in the upgrade/mod section
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: