Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index Ontario WWII Re-enactors
This forum is where WWII Re-enactors can share their knowledge

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PARTISANS UNITE!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> Allied Units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
COLTFARMER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: PARTISANS UNITE! Reply with quote

Hey all, it's Jes here from ASC! I've been bit by the WW2 bug so here I am on these forums!

I started out with a conundrum, no local teams to join!

The largest cohesive airsoft presence in London seems to be OAWWIIR, so here's my idea.

Armed Resistance! French, Dutch, Soviet and German civillians took it upon themselves to arm and organize and resist the reich!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_resistance

On the flipside of that coin was the werwolf movement, a partisan movement set up to fight the allied progress.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werwolf_Guerrillas

This is a perfect opportunity for those new to the WW2 scene or those lacking in kit to be in on the action. The purpose of this thread is to garner interest and pool online resources.

Pros;

- Any WW2 weapon will do, pretty much anything that could be begged, borrowed, found or stolen was utilized by both sides.

- Uniform is basically civillian clothing, chances are you have full kit in your closet as we speak!

- Perfect for taking part in lvl. 1 and 2 Reenactments, as pointed out by Leecas (which is awesome, I didnt even think about that!)

Anyway, those were just a couple of links to get started out, i'm sure there is a wealth of info out there on the internets.

So tell me what you guys think, post your thoughts and ideas, discuss!

Thanks for looking!

- Jes
youonlywish

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. That WWII bug is a BITCH to shake... good luck.

In terms of WWII airsoft... generally speaking, you build your kit and you play airsoft in it. Now, this being said, you can take it as far and immersive as you want. You can have only what you need to play airsoft... combat gear and the like... or you can go the 're-enactor' route... it's totally up to you.

Lee is in london, he's the head of E company.

I've seen pictures of this type of thing tried before.. the civi-turned-freedom-fighter approach that is.

Here's my take on it.

It'd be easy to throw anything on and call it 'civillian'. I think to really truely pull it off, it'd have to be a mix of a couple things.

I'm a stickler for personal stuff, ie: rations, pack-stuff... and I think that if a civillian were to take up arms, that is basically all they would be about; a personal person, so to speak.

A 'resistence' kit, in my opinion should be focused on that kind of stuff... because really, there's not much more to it.

In regards to outfitting, yes, basically any weapon would do.

As for clothes... I would suggest researching the fashion of that era. Maybe some dressy pants, a button up shirt, sleeves rolled up and a fedora. Definitely try to set yourself apart.

Another aspect to consider, when in the field, the average resistence fighter was by no means a trained soldier, in most cases.

Having a dedicated group of resistance fighters would be a neat aspect to add to a game.

This kind of kit would make a bigger game at the new FR field interesting.

You could, for instance, set up 'your shop'... various props and food, re-labeled wine, bread... propaganda posters...

Call me a dreamer, but really, it'd be neat.

Good luck with your kit, feel free to contact me for anything, and welcome to OAWWIIR!!
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Billy in that you can throw any civi clothing and call yourself a resistance fighter. But as he stated do a little research and find some pics... Then go to the thirt shop and I'm sure you will be able to find pretty much anything that you need for little money.

The little things will also add to your impression, like ID cards, money, and travel documents. We can help with these items.. there is a lot of free stuff on the internet and all you need is printer.

The great aspect of this impression is you can start the game as an unkown... are you there to help the Allies or the Axis? Use your documents to move around the field gathering info or doing sabotage... all kinds of ideas flying around my head. Then you can take up arms against your enemy.

This could be a real neat aspect to our group. Welcome to WWII airsofting and re-enacting!
COLTFARMER

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Clothing: I am currently collecting period photos for reference regarding clothing styles of the time, basically I try to put it in the perspective of becoming a fighter today, basically taking what would be most useful from my own clothes had I no kit to speak of.

I see leather shoes, wool pants, button up shirt, waistcoat and jacket and cap of some sort, storing mags was throwing me off till I remembered that those nice leather messenger style over the shoulder bags would be a good start. Some dedicated trips to value villiage would likely flesh out the impression a lot, but i'm still in photorecon mode.

If anyone has any pictures of resistance fighters of the period, or even some good ones of the male civil populace of the time and place, could you please email them to me @ jes_223@live.com thanks! I'll make a photobucket archive when I have enough.

Re Documents: Again, great idea, once nationality has been established some docs will go a long way for authenticicity. I actually WORK in a print shop so if anyone has a great deal of printing to do, or something that's not easily accomplished on a home printer, please PM me and I will make it happen.

Re Scenarios: I feel the "civi" aspect of airsoft is something that's often overlooked because of natural restraints on game types.

I can envision a scenario of a small grupo of commandos or suchlike, leading the natives to an armory to take up arms and help in the fight, say like whichever team reaches them first, they get them to fight for. etc.

Keep the ideas flowing! thanks a lot guys!
lawdog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allow me to offer my admittedly biased opinion.

For game flexibility you could make yourself a member of the Austrian resistance. There was a bigger Austrian resistance to the Nazi occupation than most people think (carried out by leftists, Catholics whose motto was Jesus ist mein Fuhrer, or monarchists). It is quite flexible because there were lots of Austrians in the Werwolf movement as well, so you can easily switch to the Axis side when number warrent. A few other countries would offer a similar flexibity but none with Lederhausen.

Ld
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLTFARMER wrote:
Re Documents: Again, great idea, once nationality has been established some docs will go a long way for authenticicity. I actually WORK in a print shop so if anyone has a great deal of printing to do, or something that's not easily accomplished on a home printer, please PM me and I will make it happen.

That's the nice part about it... if you have a different collection of documents, you can be any nationality that fits into the senario.
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a French Resistance re-enacting group that links you to other groups. A good place to start.

http://www.visualcollector.com/FFI/FFIsite.html
Yorkie
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leecas wrote:
COLTFARMER wrote:

That's the nice part about it... if you have a different collection of documents, you can be any nationality that fits into the scenario.

Double agents perhaps? A more serious 'traitor skirmish' scenario?

(Re-enactor)Sgt. Glynn Tromans, 3 Tp, 3rd Para Sqdn, RE.
MrEvolution
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Like where this is going, along with Glynns Idea could turn out to be really cool.

"They're bombing Eindhoven"
"Wont be so many Orange flags waving at us tomorrow"
Yorkie
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just thinking of all the possible (and in all likelihood, illegal) booby traps you could make....

COLTFARMER

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is awesome, keep the ideas flowing!

That site is great Lee, really helps with equipment choices.

I hope to have my impression up and running by June or so, let's give this thing legs!
Backspasm
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to get a friend of mine to make a partisan uniform (maybe eventually an allied one) and am wondering what our signed-up partisans have done for crossbow coming up. I might lend him my p-37 bdu and standard brit helmet, but that isn't really enough, so I was wondering about any other ideas out there.

Cpl Ian McNish (Re-Enactor) 6th airborne
Yorkie
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head off down to the charity shops to find some period or period looking clothes, pretty much anything civvy will be fine, couple that with any bits and pieces of military stuff that could have been stolen, begged, borrowed or scrounged.

Should be alright with that I'd reckon.

mr.shiney
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calling all those Partizan/Resistance Players. OP: Cougar is designed for you to have a role in it. So those that wish to play a member of such an organization come on out.
*crash*
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We touched on this sort of thing with my "Eagle has Landed" and it really added an interesting flair to the game. I could see it more so if the persons were wearing period type clothing. There were partisans with mixed civi/military, as they tried to put on an air of legit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistance_during_World_War_II

P.S. The first "Inglorious Basterd" wannabe will be dealt with ingloriously.

Watch "Defiance", "A Bridge Too Far", "Flame and Citron", "The Train", "Guns of Navarone", "Operation: Daybreak", "Carve Her Name with Pride", "Soldier of Orange", etc....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> Allied Units All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: