Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index Ontario WWII Re-enactors
This forum is where WWII Re-enactors can share their knowledge

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

October 29, FR old field
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> After Action Report
View previous topic :: View next topic  
youonlywish

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: October 29, FR old field Reply with quote

Although the weather got to more of me then I expected, I think everyone had a good time regardless.

More auto-firing then I would have liked to see, and I noticed not everyone had taken their RDS and stuff off. Ohh well, everyone had fun.

Any ideas for a November game?
PanzerGrenadier
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: October 29, FR old field Reply with quote

youonlywish wrote:

Any ideas for a November game?

New Field?

The number of players was great, but the forest and relatively poor weather created spotting much harder.
Or maybe the fog on my goggles? Very Happy
My only complaint is the beginning oif the day.
I saw little action at the com tower battle.
And I was the only one defending the place until some Kamaradeschaft guys showed up.

ANyways the day was fun and the scariest moment was when a deer charged accross the field about 20 feet in front of me.
Hehe, I wasnt aiming my gun and when it ran accross, I shouldered the thing in like 0.001 seconds and ALMOST fired.
I wonder what would've happend if i hit the damned thing.

Cyu guys next game!
sdkfz234

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, you were the only one at the com tower at the beginning? When we (Allies) got there, I swear the whole Axis side was camped out in the shed. We never ran into any of you guys until we hit the shed.

Then again, it took us a while to first meet at the assembly area, when advance on your position.
quikstrike

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Billy, get in touch with me, lets set up a November game.
sdkfz234

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last thing, I got a question that's directed mostly to the Axis side, but also to the Allies during one skirmish:

Was it particularly easy to spot me in my DAK uniform, with all the silver shiny rank insignia that I had? I'm not going to change or remove it, regardless, but I just wanted to know if "Hey look! There goes a DAK officer! Shoot him!" was a common thought among the opposing team (Axis for the most part).
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to set up a November game at either Flagraider's new field or Flagswipe. I would like the whole field without Paintballers. I'll post it when I have more details.
PanzerGrenadier
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great.

If I could choose, I would play FR new field.
But this all depends on the paintballers, organization etc.

But heck, those trenches at Flagswipe are tempting!
2 hour drive though Rolling Eyes
sdkfz234

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's already an investigation underway to see if the FR new field can be "double-booked" with a group of non-WW2 airsofters as well. This way we could have enough airsofters to have the entire field without paintballers. Check the ASC forum or ask Derek for more info.
MrEvolution
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also like the new FR, as its closer to my house Very Happy
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdkfz234 wrote:
There's already an investigation underway to see if the FR new field can be "double-booked" with a group of non-WW2 airsofters as well. This way we could have enough airsofters to have the entire field without paintballers. Check the ASC forum or ask Derek for more info.

Derek emailed me about this but I haven't gotten back to him. I'm not sure that this is a good idea. I realize that it's not paintballers but we would still have to share the field. So I'm not sure how this would differ from sharing the field with paintballers.

I mean we could have skirmishes instead of a milsim but then why wouldn't we just join the rest of the airsofters? I've done skirmishes with my WWII gear before. As a matter of fact that's the only gear I wear when I play.

The advantage of having the field is... having the field... and not sharing it with any other group.
sdkfz234

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For one thing, the other airsoft group may or may not be playing under the same scenario rules (ammo limits, semi/full auto rules, medic rules) as us.

My motivation for supporting this idea is that even though we are sharing the field, its with fellow airsofters and not paintballers.

That said, if you can arrange to have an entire field to ourselves, that'd be even better. I just see this option as a compromise given the relatively small number of WW2 re-enactors and the minimum player requirements for renting the entire field.

As with most things in life, it wouldn't hurt to at least give it a try. Even if the weather is as bad as the 29th, at least there'd be building and vehicles to take refuge in Smile
PanzerGrenadier
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The popularity of the field might also encourage others to join.
sdkfz234

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Join the game for that day, or join OAWWIIR? I don't think a lot of people would put together an impression just because we started playing at the new field instead of the old one.

However, the new field would probably attract more airsofters in general, and that would definitely spark some interest in re-enacting.
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex's games are made up of skirmishes and some mission based games. He does not limit ammo or have medic rules.

I totally get what you guys are saying. You have good points. But sharing a field and moving around from one area to another is not a WWII milsim, its a day of skirmishes. Don't get me wrong, I have gone to a few of Alex's games, wearing my WWII gear, and have enjoyed myself each time. It has always generated interest. If that is the goal, to generate interest that I think we should join in one of the regular games and all go in full gear.

However, if we are trying to have events that simulate WWII senarios then skirmishes are not the way to go. A WWII milsim is not just wearing WWII gear but rather, if done correctly, creating an atmosphere were for that day you live, breathe, speak, and think like it is 1944. WWII airsofting has to be able to offer something different then the regular airsoft games, otherwise, we are just airsofters that wear WWII gear.

Would I like a field were we have buildings, woods, etc... sure and if anyone knows anyone that would be willing to use their field I will be the first person to be building those building and digging the trenches. But until then we have to use what we have available.

Sorry, I did not mean to get on a soapbox but as you might be able to tell IŤm a little passionate about this. If I wasnt I would not of started this website.
sdkfz234

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That helps to clear up my understanding of your vision for OAWWIIR. I had been looking at all of this from an airsoft point of view, rather than a re-enactment POV.

Looking at this from the correct point of view, I suppose that my only comment would have to be numbers. We obviously need more people to be interested in playing under the scenario rules, let alone with a WW2 impression, in order to have a chance of securing a field to ourselves.

Even if you were able to call Joe right now, and he gave you the entire field for the day, the scenarios would only be interesting if there was sufficient numbers of players, not just the re-enactors. So again, as many others have put it, we need to gather more interest.

And on that end, it would be very difficult to say that very little effort has been put into attracting interest. I know that you and many others have worked hard to promote OAWWIIR through this website/forum, GMAC and various games.

I personally joined up because I wasn't too interested in the "regular" airsoft themes with M4s, tactical vests and all the other modern gear. Plus I've always been interested in WW2 history, so it was only natural that this is where I start.

I suppose that this whole issue will have to be approached with short and long term goals. The long term goal would obviously be to have enough interest, or better yet, re-enactors, so that we could run a full-blown scerario at a (the new) field all to ourselves.

The short term goals would be to get out to games in our gear, gather interest in re-enacting, and above all, have fun.

EDIT:

I just thought of this 2 seconds after posting. I know that in the past, some night-time games have been run, including at FR I believe. You may have better luck getting the whole field at night, rather than during the day. I know it brings up even more complications and issues, but it could also make for very interesting scenarios (ie. Normandy invasion). Another option worth consideration?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> After Action Report All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: