Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index Ontario WWII Re-enactors
This forum is where WWII Re-enactors can share their knowledge

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5. Kompanie/Fallschirm-Jäger Regiment 5 is formed.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> Axis Unit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karsten Heidt
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: 5. Kompanie/Fallschirm-Jäger Regiment 5 is formed. Reply with quote

Well gents, after much thought and behind-the-scenes planning spanning months, I can now let the cat out of the bag. It is my great pleasure to announce the official founding of 5. Kompanie/Fallschirm-Jäger Regiment 5 as a constituent unit of OAWWIIR:

http://www.ontarioairsoftwwiireenactors.com/units_FallschirmJager.html

and, our full unit site:

https://sites.google.com/site/ontariofjr5/

Our goal is to portray the German airborne troops of the Second World War with a high degree of authenticity, expand the Axis presence at events, and to develop the hobby in Ontario as a whole. Our values are high realism standards, comradeship, and fun on and off the field.

There are four founding members. We hope to make our debut as a unit as soon as possible, and to welcome like-minded people in to our ranks. The overall objective is to create on the Axis side a mixed all-arms Kampfgruppe with our comrades in the Heer and Waffen-SS.

Please see our webpage for a roster, the history of our real-world counterparts, and unit kit standards. We encourage all people interested in depicting these unique elite troops to contact us.[url][/url]

Last edited by Karsten Heidt on Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sturmmann Weiss
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hip hip hooray !!!

good luck and the 9th looks forward
to fighting beside u
Karsten Heidt
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'd like to make our existence known to as many potential members as possible. Can anyone suggest other forums/etc where an announcement could profitably be made?

Kristof Wolfe
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post on ASC in the WWII section http://airsoftcanada.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95
Karsten Heidt
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, done so. We'll see if this drums up any interest.

Owl
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings,
After much consideration and looking at all the units available within OAWIIR, I've decided to go with 5.Kompanie. There are a few reasons for this. I want to step out of my main area/impression(Canadian Infantry) and do something different. Also, the FJ are an interesting unit, and seem to be, for the most part, free from the stigma often attached to German units. I also want to be part of a dedicated unit that works hard and plays hard. Unfortunately I'll have to wait until May 2014 to hit the field though.
First batch of what will likely be many, many questions:
1) Is it Fallschirm-Jäger or Fallschirmjäger?(Stupid question, But I've seen both used)
2) What weapon should I be looking at acquiring? Rifle or MP?
3) When building my persona/personal details, is there anything special I should be aware of? Particular area of Germany? Certain social class?
4) Is it worth trying to develop a German accent? (might be going overboard with this one, lol)
5) Any recommended reading on 5.Kompanie, Regiment 5, or FJ in general?(in English preferably?)
6) Where do you recommend acquiring all the different bits? Vendor recommendations would make a nice addition to the Impression Guide(though I understand this would mean a lot more work).
Looking forward to building the impression and hitting the field.
Thanks for reading(and answering),
Owl
Karsten Heidt
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, happy to hear it. We'll be very happy to have you. Your reasons for inclining towards the FJ side of things exactly mirror my own when I first started out in all this. I take it you're underage until next year? That does prohibit participation in shooting events, but if you wanted to get started on kit now, you'd be ready to hit the line as soon as you were of age and could participate with us in noncombat events, to learn the ropes a bit before you dive in (provided this is OK rules wise...Lee?)

I'll answer your questions as best I can.

1. Answer is typically German: both. When it's a unit designation, like FJR 5, it is rendered Fallschirm-Jäger. When referring to the men themselves, it's Fallschirmjäger. Don't ask me why.

2. Weapon choice comes down primarily to personal preference and how much you want to spend. That said, I'd really like to see some more bolt action rifles in the field, so we can do a better approximation of the typical weapons mix. Sources indicate that the FJ typically had one MP/Stg for every four men or so, but in airsoft that number is typically three times that.

3. Germany in the mid 20th century was hardly homogenous; regional differences dating back to the period of the Holy Roman Empire and before persisted. Therefore broad characterizations are difficult to make. I've found that one of the best exercises for creating a believable persona is to research the data for your Soldbuch (soldier's pay and identity document). Lots of info can be had at the following links. They're on Heer soldbuchs, but LW ones were almost identical:

http://www.soldbuchweb.com/sbpg02.htm
http://www.dererstezug.com/SoldbuchAnatomy1.htm
http://www.dererstezug.com/SoldbuchAnatomy2.htm
http://www.dererstezug.com/SoldbuchAnatomy3.htm
http://www.gdrecon.co.uk/soldbuch1.html

Unlike divisions of the Heer, that were (at least at first) recruited from a specific Wehrkreis (defense district), giving them a strong regional character, the FJ were recruited from volunteers from all over the Reich. Their loyalty was less to a shared home region and more to the elite FJ ethos itself. Most enlisted personnel would have been of working class origins.

4. Absolutely not, unless you actually speak German with it. Stuff like that comes across as cornball B-movie nonsense, usually.

5. James Lucas' "Storming Eagles" has a good account of the founding of FJR 5 from elements of the disbanded Luftlande-Sturm-Regiment, and its first campaigns in North Africa. It follows them to Normandy and elsewhere. The unit history page on our unit website has a basic overview of our real-world counterpart.

6. Send me a PM with your contact info and we'll get you in our email chain. We can point you at the right stuff and answer all your questions there.

Owl
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent.
Yes, I'm underage until next year. I've been able to do modern-themed airsoft up here in the Ottawa Valley due to the community being more accepting of underage players, and the field owners getting insurance policies allowing them to have players as young as 14.
Owl
Karsten Heidt
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we do. Here I am after a day in the field with KG Haase at CFB Borden.

Sturmmann Weiss
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks brilliant Smile))
Meiners

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait until you guys see my sexy Type 1 Jump smock, it's amazing!!!

Gefreiter Stefan Meiners
5./Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 5
Karsten Heidt
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've gotta say...usually Sturm stuff is indifferent-to-fair, but their Grünmeliertes step-in smocks are great. Only small thing that needs correcting is to shorten the shoulder zip flaps about an inch and they're golden. I might get one too.

Owl
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks awesome, can't wait to get my gear together.
Karsten Heidt
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potential recruits be warned - our authenticity NCO, Oberjäger Munke, is on duty, ready to pounce on any and all farbiness:

Karsten Heidt
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A detailed breakdown of the state of men and equipment of 3. Fallschirmjäger-Division, of which FJR 5 was a part, before and during the Normandy fighting:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/63933263/3-Fallschirmjager-Division-Normandy

The division was extraordinarily strong by 1944 standards, with over 17,000 men. However, it was inexorably ground up by the fierce fighting and only a handful escaped the Falaise Pocket to form the nucleus of the re-raised division.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> Axis Unit All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: