Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index Ontario WWII Re-enactors
This forum is where WWII Re-enactors can share their knowledge

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Close to 2014

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Close to 2014 Reply with quote

Another year come and gone. I hope everyone had a great Christmas or what holiday that you celebrate and a very Happy New Year!

We had less events this past year but the quality is higher then it has ever been. I guess we have less events because we no longer need to have Level II or III events any more.

We have a large group and it continues to grow. Our impressions are excellent and everyone for the most part continues to work on them to make them even better.

We had two major Airsoft Tacticals this year and both were outstanding. D-Day was a lot of fun (even if my face was ripped open) especially taking out the Panzer 1. And Woodsman keeps growing... we had more of our brothers from Quebec this year then last year.

And thanks to Brian and Jamie several of the members of this group participated in a Blank fire tactical. And I don't think our members looked any different then anyone else. This has also encouraged more guys to go for their PALs.

Our two main Living history events went every well. We saw the addition of the Germans at Timeline and a staged battle was added. The Germans did a great job and were invited back before the event was even over. You always know when we've done a good job when the event hosts are talking to you about next year.

So, what's to come in the new year... I think we will see D-Day and Woodsman return.

We have already been given the dates for SOMM and Timeline and have been told that we will have control of the battles once again. I will post the dates for each event.

And I'm sure Brian will have more Blank Fire tacticals and with more of our members getting their PALs I think we will see more of our members attending.

New web site is on the way so if you have any ideas or you want to see something added just let me know.

For me personally... I'm really looking forward to the Cezh Fury trip!

We'll see every one in the field.
Roland Krieger
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2014 was a good year for all of us,

As you said Lee, the community is growing and consolidating.

I'm committed to offering an event a month ( most months) but we are going to have to alternate between Bank and Airsoft ( with airsoft taking precedence ) If I am to have any chance of staying married.

I strongly recommend that people come out to both types of events.

There is always lots of things to do for non PAL holders at bank events, Including handling the support weapons.

It is also good to see more and more Bank Fire reenactors expressing interest in Airsoft, many have come to see that we are not really any different.

On the German side, we will continue to have regular training events to keep the skills sharp. The units are gathering more machine guns.. and we need to all learn how to use them well.

Hope to see you all soon!

Wenn die Zunge wie ein Schwert schneiden konnten die Toten wäre unendlich
Karsten Heidt
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I take from this that we're not going to bother with the "level" system anymore? I think it comes from a good place and the intent was pure, but the conversion rate of dabblers to actual serious members was pretty miniscule, I think we'll all agree on that. All it seemed to do in practice was lower the tone of our events with doo-rags and AKs and other things none of us want to see in the pretend 1940s. I personally would rather an event smaller in numbers but higher in authenticity, than the reverse. I know I'm not the only one in the organization who feels that way.

Anyway, will do what I can on my end to keep events happening in the new year as well. Last year the level we achieved was the highest yet and I'm pleased with the direction we're heading.

leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karsten Heidt wrote:
Do I take from this that we're not going to bother with the "level" system anymore? I think it comes from a good place and the intent was pure, but the conversion rate of dabblers to actual serious members was pretty miniscule, I think we'll all agree on that. All it seemed to do in practice was lower the tone of our events with doo-rags and AKs and other things none of us want to see in the pretend 1940s. I personally would rather an event smaller in numbers but higher in authenticity, than the reverse. I know I'm not the only one in the organization who feels that way.

Anyway, will do what I can on my end to keep events happening in the new year as well. Last year the level we achieved was the highest yet and I'm pleased with the direction we're heading.

I would say so. Our group has grown enough that we can support Level 1 events and I would agree that I would rather have quality over quantity. Level II and III events served it's purpose in the days when this group was just growing but you are correct that we did not get a lot of members by having them... but back then one new member was gold!

We also have enough kit on both sides that we can always gear up anyone that is interested in coming out.

So, the new web site will reflect that all events will be Level I events.
Karsten Heidt
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, glad to hear it. Positive steps all around.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: