Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index Ontario WWII Re-enactors
This forum is where WWII Re-enactors can share their knowledge

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

101st I&R
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> Allied Units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baker
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: 101st I&R Reply with quote

I am just putting this out there, so don't hate on me.

If you google 101st reenactors everyone everywhere does E-Company 506th.. They are great and I loved the series and all the books. They turly are heroes.

At a living history event we are more of a squad not a company, not even a platoon. We have lots of people on the roster just not everyone comes out.

So my idea to everyone is, we change to the 101st Air Borne 506th Infantry Regiment Division Intel and Recon Platoon.

Before we go any farther I have a story for you

In October, 1944, the 101st Airborne Division was in Holland, after the failure of "Operation Market-Garden," on what became known as "The Island." The German forces were mostly to the North of the Lower Rhine, with good observation of the American troops on the Southern bank of the river. At the time, little was known of the exact disposition of German forces across the river so General Higgins ordered Lt. Hugo Sims, commander of the I&R Platoon of the 501st PIR, to conduct a patrol across the river and capture a German prisoner for interrogation. Lt. Sims meticulously planned an extended patrol deep behind German lines to capture a prisoner and gather intelligence about the enemy forces across the river.

The plan was to cross the Lower Rhine, travel approximately six miles inland during the night, stay in a house along the road between Utrecht and Arnhem during the following day and, after nightfall, capture a German vehicle and drive it back to the American lines with the prisoner(s). Six men, including Sims, a German speaking interrogator, and four men from the I&R platoon carried out the patrol.

The men crossed the river undetected, discovered a German ammo dump, motor pool, by-passed the German occupied town of Wolfheeze and before dawn, captured two German cavalrymen in the house they were to stay in along the Utrecht-Arnhem road. The patrol set up their radio, made contact with the regiment and passed along the intelligence gathered so far.

During the day the patrol managed to capture many more German prisoners, mostly in ones and twos as they stopped to rest or get a drink of water at the house the patrol was in. All of the prisoners were incredulous that they had been captured so far behind their own lines. Some Dutch civilians also came to the house during the day and were kept inside the house for security reasons. The civilians helped with interrogating the prisoners and Lt. Sims radioed the new intelligence back to headquarters.

It was now getting to be time to start looking for transport to get back to the American lines. Along came a 5-ton truck carrying 15 SS soldiers which was stopped by the patrol and taken captive. This was to be their ride. After dark, all the prisoners were loaded into the truck and were guarded by members of the patrol, but the German driver stayed up front to drive the truck. He proved to be a reluctant chauffer, however, and managed to get the truck stuck part of the way back to the river. Lt. Sims was left with no choice but to march the prisoners back to the river and the boats that would carry them all to the American lines. The last German prisoner taken, a Captain who stopped to yell at the truck driver for blocking the road and was subsequently taken prisoner, attempted to escape. One of the patrol members chased him down and persuaded the Captain to be compliant the rest of the way.

So now there were six American paratroopers marching 32 German prisoners of war, still miles behind German lines, toward the Rhine and captivity. The column even marched through part of the town of Renkum before reaching the boats on the river. The patrol and prisoners shuttled across the river until all were safely on the American side of the Rhine.

Not a man of the patrol was wounded or killed and only two shots were fired (into the air) while subduing the German Captain during his escape attempt. None of the prisoners were harmed.

The Platoon its self included 18 infantry men and 3 jeeps. We have a jeep now and hopefully by the muster we will have 2. Nothing will actually change with the unit, other them dropping the E-Company and changing to I&R.

This is just to start a friendly discussion and to see if there are any interest

Sgt. Scott Hatch (Re-enactor)
Dog Company 2/506th
101st Airborne
Karsten Heidt
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choosing a unit where virtually every real-world member isn't so well known and documented might be a good thing. Plus, of about 40 companies and batteries in the division, all of them of similar quality to E/2/506, surely there are some unsung ones that deserve representation too?

Trenton Wall

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct, The unit i portrayed before joining this unit was the 501st PIR, Item Company 3rd Bt. They had all the same kit, the only difference would be having diamonds on your helmet instead of spades.

I would like to portray the 501st PIR again one day.
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm open to changing the unit. Over the years I've noticed that other re-enactors tend to turn their nose down at anyone doing a Easy Coy 2Bat 506 PIR impression.

But if we change then we change for the right reasons and we discuss it as a group among Easy.
shiftsup
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No complaints here. 506th, 501st, 502nd.

Just no American Free Corps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OixVPcCbcx0

"I have no idea!!!!!"
Karsten Heidt
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you went I&R Platoon of the 506th, you'd not even have to change your helmet stencils, I shouldn't think...

Trenton Wall

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Lee, when people see re-enactment group that is based E Coy 2 Bt 506th they would be most likely not join the unit since its too mainstream. However I think we should create a new topic for the men of easy to discuss what our new unit should be if we decide to change the unit. My vote is either the 502nd, 506th, or the 501st PIR. one of the regular airborne infantry regiments.
Baker
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karsten Heidt wrote:
If you went I&R Platoon of the 506th, you'd not even have to change your helmet stencils, I shouldn't think...

That was my line of thinking. If we did that people don't feel like that have truly changed. Everything would be kosher.

I am open to a discussion and no need to start another topic, we can just continue it here.

If we where to re-badge I would suggest the 82nd (assuming people want to keep airborne) then we could do MTO and ETO events.

We can realistically can do any US unit. A reg GI? Wools non jump helmet and leggings to cover your jump boots. We just need to figure out what we will do.

Dog Company 2/506th
101st Airborne
Trenton Wall

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if we were to create a sub unit alongside the one we had now. like if we did the 327th GIR for example.
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't want to or expect anyone else to rebadge... so staying with 506th 101st would be the best.

If we did a rebadge it would still be airborne but it would not be the 82nd.
Trenton Wall

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about changing to one of the other companies of 2nd Bt. Like Dog or Fox company? it would just be a name change.
Baker
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or 101st 506th HQ I&R Platoon

Dog Company 2/506th
101st Airborne
Baker
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a movie about a I&R Platoon

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RcLFX5Ymac

Dog Company 2/506th
101st Airborne
shiftsup
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about B Company 1st Battalion 506 PIR?

A wolf a howlin' at the moon on the helmet!

"I have no idea!!!!!"
Trenton Wall

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Able Company 506th has a lot of first hand information from don Burgets books. A lot of great references as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> Allied Units All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: