Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index Ontario WWII Re-enactors
This forum is where WWII Re-enactors can share their knowledge

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rememberance Day

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carl Muller

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Rememberance Day Reply with quote

Today is the day to really take stock of what it was all about.

Took the day off as usual to go down to the ceremony and talk to the vets.

When I was a young, I remember the entire town practically shutting down for the service on rememberance day, now its just a side note.

Where I grew up was pretty much a one industry town, with a large factory in the middle. At about 10 am the steam whistle would sound, and the entire plant would grind to a hault. The entire workforce, who were almost entirely vets, would muster outside in ranks, and march in squadrons up main street in take part in the parade and ceremony at the cenotaph. There were still ww1 vets in a small squadron leading the procession, which dwindled every year. After the service they would again march back to work.

Nothing like that anymore.
buellxbk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know what you mean. I can remember being in public school and the classes would all march down the memorial and watch as the vets would march by. I was proud cause one of them was dad and I would point that out to my classmates. Not like that anymore though. We did have an excellent ceremony in the gym at the school I work at. Our principal does a good job of putting it together, videos and the kids doing readings. The music class did Highway of heros and John Lennons Imagine. Really good.
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son is in SK and he was very proud to take and show a picture of his grandfather (my Dad) to his class and to tell them how he served in the Korean war. He has no idea where Korean is and he never met my Dad but he was very proud none the less. So it's nice to know that even at a very young age... as long as we continue it... these men and women will not be forgotten.

On a negative note... a Public school in Lucan (a small town north of London) decided that they would not participate at their towns cerimony because there is prayer. I couldn't believe it! Sometimes we go over board trying to be too PC!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: