Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index Ontario WWII Re-enactors
This forum is where WWII Re-enactors can share their knowledge

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M1918 BAR - Echo-1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baker
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: M1918 BAR - Echo-1 Reply with quote

(mind the dogs bear)

First impressions, it heavy. Seems solid mine doesn't shake or rattle. Everything seems tight.

There are paint chips on the barrel from the bi-pod in travel and under the handle. The right half of the handle is not bent correctly so it catches if you swing it to the right. But it swings down to the left. On the top of the feet there is also some rust. Lots of oil all over the gun. had to wipe it off as it seemed to go everywhere.

You have to undo 2 screws on the butt stock to attach/instal the battery.

It shoots great. Seems to have a distinctive sound, that more I am use to my Thompson. I cant wait to game it!!!

Ask any questions you might have.

I do plan on getting a longer tight bore and rewiring it with dean connectors.

Sgt. Scott Hatch (Re-enactor)
Dog Company 2/506th
101st Airborne
baker_jeff
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
#8, 14220 Yellowhead Trail NW
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I finally got mine in my hot little hands. And I would like to add to Scott's review and close some of the gaps.

The gun is well packaged and it does have the wow factor. It's very impressive to see and to hold. It's a solid gun and heavy... you're not going to want to do a lot of running around with this gun.

The faux wood looks great. You would not know it's wood until you touched it. The seam on the stock is very hard to see or feel... sorry to say that they didn't take the same care for the Carry Handle or the front hand grip. A third party wood kit would add to this gun. The reciever, barrel and the bi-pod are all metal.

They attached the Orange front to the barrel with a small set screw so it was very easy to remove and put back on if you wanted to. They didn't glue it on so that was great.

It comes with two high cap mags (I think 175 BBs each)... not a bad thing seeing that this will be a support weapon. Comes with a stick battery... but there is enough room in the stock to fit a small bar battery (which I use for all my guns) if you modify the foam.

Not crazy that you have to unscrew two screws to be able to get to the battery. You will need to carry a flat head screw driver with you into the field if you need to do a battery change... pain in the ass I know because I have to do this for my KA Thompson. Not sure why they didn't go the way of the TM Thompson... the Butt plate looks like it's screwed on but you pull and it opens.

I am also not sure why they have a quarter sized hole at the bottom of the stock that you can put your finger in and feel the foam of the battery compartment. Is the BAR suppose to have this hole? Is it used for something?

There is also another hole on the right side of the receiver about an 1/8 of an inch... if you put a screw driver in the hole you can feel the mech box. Again, not sure why this hole is here. Not crazy about either of the opennings... I can see rain or dirt getting into areas that you really don't want either to get into.

And unless I missed it it does not come with a manual.

Over all this is a great looking gun... now we'll see what it's like in the field. I'll continue my review when it has been feild tested.
shiftsup
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leecas wrote:
I am also not sure why they have a quarter sized hole at the bottom of the stock that you can put your finger in and feel the foam of the battery compartment. Is the BAR suppose to have this hole? Is it used

The hole in the bottom of the stock is for the monopod that was sometimes used when shooting BAR's on the range for training purposes.
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shiftsup wrote:
leecas wrote:
I am also not sure why they have a quarter sized hole at the bottom of the stock that you can put your finger in and feel the foam of the battery compartment. Is the BAR suppose to have this hole? Is it used

The hole in the bottom of the stock is for the monopod that was sometimes used when shooting BAR's on the range for training purposes.

That's what I figured that it would be for something like that. But you would think that for the airsoft version they would have put in a plug on the bottom to stop anything from getting into the stock. I guess I will have to do that myself.

Thanks for the info.
shiftsup
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, block it up.

After the wwii game in Udora Field / Uxbridge in 2010 the inside of my BAR stock was littered with pine needles. Don't need those creeping up to the motor.

I just used some leftover putty that I had laying around from a satellite dish installation. I imagaine there are over 1,000 things that would do the trick.
Sturmmann Weiss
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got mine from jeff and man it's a beast!!!
very well made and with spring change gets
nice high rate of fire....
wood looks very realalistic
just some barrel scoffs from shipping but
easy fix.
gonna rework mag to be mid cap Smile
Sturmmann Weiss
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reworked hicap to mid. if anyone wants to know how, just let me know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: