Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index Ontario WWII Re-enactors
This forum is where WWII Re-enactors can share their knowledge

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shoot n' Scoot KG3 Blanco

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karsten Heidt
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Shoot n' Scoot KG3 Blanco Reply with quote

Part camouflage, part barracks bullshit designed to keep the troops busy and out of trouble, blanco is an essential part of the commonwealth reenacting picture, and one often neglected because it doesn't show up readily in black and white photography, and is also kinda notorious as a pain in the ass. I decided to give it a go. So, after conducting research, the consensus was that the best repro KG3 blanco to be had was provided by Shoot n' Scoot in the UK. Ordered a couple bottles and put it to the test.

http://www.shootnscoot.co.uk/shoot-and-scoot-blanco-n03

Overall impression: EXCELLENT

At 10 pounds sterling for a single 50ml bottle, it is a little dear, but in terms of ease of application and colour fidelity, it is top notch. It is water soluble and so will weather accurately with field use. This also means that any mess in application is easy to deal with. One bottle will just barely cover a set of belt, braces, basic pouches, e-tool carrier, bayonet frog, small pack, and gaiters, but I got two in order to be able to touch up.

The results:

Blancoed and raw, for comparison.

Overall I'm well pleased. I used the method recommended at this (rather excellent) site:

http://www.blancoandbull.com/repro-blanco/shoot-scoot-kg3-repro/

That is, making a solution of 1:1 blanco and water, and applying two coats. This helps provide a nice even coating and ensures the colour soaks in deeply.

So yeah, get it. Just a heads-up, the guy who runs Shoot n' Scoot is not very internet savvy and can take a very long time to respond to any communication, but shipping was prompt once I paid, so no worries on that score.
shiftsup
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice review. Looks like a quality product. I used the Blanco product sold by SOF. Upon application it is more green than brown. Nothing that sun, rain and dirt cannot fix for field wear. Funny thing is the shade differs slightly when applied to different types of 37 webbing (e.g NOS wwii, repro and used wwii webbing) 70 years of aging and storage sure makes a difference.

Blanco as sold by SOF also now offers a more brown than green Blanco product known as "1944". I have 3 bottles of it awaiting application. Did a small test with it and the shade is different than the original Blanco KG3 as sold by SOF.

Also have 4 cakes of NOS KG3 still in the wrapper. Too "chicken" to use that though.
Karsten Heidt
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOF's blanco got a middling review at Blanco and Bull, and I wasn't super-impressed with their honesty of descriptions when I ordered from them before, so I gave it a miss. Very pleased with SnS's KG3. I have the shade issue with my stuff too: primarily, the used surplus items need more coats to take the colour. Must be the dirt and oil worked in to them. I think a thorough cleaning with warm, soapy water beforehand definitely helped, it would have been a lot worse otherwise.
shiftsup
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, the SOF groundsheet. Don't blame you giving them a miss. SOF is no better or worse than any other vendor. Militarytour and ATF both sell suspect items from my personal experience.

The review you linked was decent. It stayed out of the fussbudgetry realm. Site just needs update the SOF Blanco offerings.

1944 SOF KG3 Blanco is a pretty close colour match to NOS Blanco unapplied.

I was getting this "shine" result after 2 days in the field with the old SOF KG3 on a used MT Pouch that was cleaned before application (It probably oil that didn't get removed when cleaned:

Same shine hasn't occurred on a NOS wwii Canadian pouch with similar usage.

COL.TIKER

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Shoot n' Scoot KG3 Blanco Reply with quote

consume wrote:

So yeah, get it. Just a heads-up, the guy who runs Shoot n' Scoot is not very internet savvy and can take a very long time to respond to any communication, but shipping was prompt once I paid, so no worries on that score.

How long did you have to wait for him to respond? I kinda want to have a quick convo with him about importing one of his Enfields. Maybe the best way to do that is call him?

In einem kleinen Unterstand, träumen vom fernen Heimatland.
Karsten Heidt
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally had to resort to posting on the Shoot n' Scoot subsection of the UK WWII Airsoft forum. He replied right away there. If you make contact about the new budget Lee Enfield No. 4 he's planning, ask about shipping more than one, I might want in on that. With the number of real steel components importation might be hairy, though...
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

consume wrote:
Finally had to resort to posting on the Shoot n' Scoot subsection of the UK WWII Airsoft forum. He replied right away there. If you make contact about the new budget Lee Enfield No. 4 he's planning, ask about shipping more than one, I might want in on that. With the number of real steel components importation might be hairy, though...

As long as there is no real steel receiver it's all good.
COL.TIKER

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

consume wrote:

Mind linking me to that particular subsection on those forums? I'm not familiar with said forums.

Karsten Heidt
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ww2airsoft.org.uk/php/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=17&sid=a7998621ea2f2773b53b3e2bfb702589
COL.TIKER

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

consume wrote:
http://www.ww2airsoft.org.uk/php/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=17&sid=a7998621ea2f2773b53b3e2bfb702589

Thanks, too bad the rifle is no longer in stock on their website.

Karsten Heidt
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's listed as out of stock because he hasn't put any up for sale yet. He likely has the ad in as a placeholder pending availability. If you read the thread (New No4) on that forum I linked regarding the new Enfield, you'll find the most current information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: