Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index Ontario WWII Re-enactors
This forum is where WWII Re-enactors can share their knowledge

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

S&T (Smart Team) PPSH-41 review.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johann Hansen
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: S&T (Smart Team) PPSH-41 review. Reply with quote

Just got this beauty! Some quick notes...

Copy of the ARES PPSH-41.

Good externals. Not as good as the Hexagon one so I've read, but it feels sturdy - No wobble

Very easy to disable the blow back feature. Prolonging the life of your battery.
It looks cool, sounds alright for what it is, but it does consume battery life quicker.

Real wood - The wood is the usual craptastic orange china finish. This comes off extremely easily. 30 minutes with some paint/varnish stripper and a scraper, with some sandpaper and voila!
The wood is very odd, doesn't take wood finish very well.

Shoots about ~360-380-ish according to reviews (will confirm later)
Has a quick spring change feature, once the gun is disassembled you can access a large flat head screw in the back of the Mechbox. A few twists and the spring guide and spring come out.
Simple!

Takes a small mini battery in the back. Doubt there is enough room for a large one. Easy to get to, no tools required.

Generally simple to disassemble. 6 screws and she is apart, slide this here pull this there, done!

Internals have good reports (I'm not cracking open mine unless I really must)
Hopup looks great right off the bat, very adjustable from nothing to a lot. The internal nub is a V/U shape, this is supposed to "bite" the BB better and have a better effect on the BB compared to a normal simple round edge.

Now onto the bad parts...
The mags; currently the drum mag holds about ~2,000!Shocked That is enough for one days worth of play, with some left overs. Especially if it is a limited ammo milsim.
There are a few guides on how to mod the mags to a shorter capacity (150 rounds via the HP mags) which is what I will be looking at doing for those milsims where ammo is in short supply.

This being an Ares clone makes aftermarket/replacement internal parts are far and few.
The mechbox shell is unique, proprietary. If this breaks the gun is toast. Some of the internal parts are TM compatible with your standard parts, but not all (so I've read)

In the event something goes horribly wrong rendering the gun a wall hanger (IE Mechbox shell busting) I will simply pursue modding a different mechbox into it (IE an M14 like the Hexagon PPSH)

This is one thing to hugely consider if you are interested in buying this or the Ares one. Things break after awhile, it's only a matter of time.

All in all - Happy with this purchase. She will be awesome for skirmishes (2,000 rounds at the ready Very Happy)
Unique weapon we don't see often on the field.

Range report
When I fielded this last Saturday for the 9th SS training event, I was pretty pleased. Using .23's it shot nice and far. 28's were better of course but the hopup works great out of the box.

The drum mag had some pretty harsh feeding problems. Everything 3rd or 4th shot would misfire, requiring a good shake of the drum mag.
I have since lubed up the mags feeding path and she's golden now. I can get 30 consecutive shots without troubles.

Conclusion - I suggest getting this gun.
But; I strongly advise if you are to get it that you be good with your hands or know somebody who is in the event the mechbox blows.

Last edited by Johann Hansen on Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Sturmmann Weiss
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

had massive headaches with my ares.

change out spring asap. go with a 90. change your hop up rubber as the ares one shredded.

once i got that fixed it shot pretty well but traded for a mp40.
Smile
shiftsup
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own the Hexagon PPSH. Gamed it only once so far last fall at a Finch field Vietnam game. Performed pretty good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: