Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index Ontario WWII Re-enactors
This forum is where WWII Re-enactors can share their knowledge

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sizing for Impression

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> Allied Uniforms
View previous topic :: View next topic  
obsolete

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Sizing for Impression Reply with quote

So I am starting out setting up my impressions. First off I am doing a 1 Can Para and then I would like to do a FSSF impression.

So my question is in regards to sizing and ordering. I am 6'0", 215lbs, 43 chest and 36 waist, boot size 11. For US Army sizing I am Large Regular. For UK I am 85/92/108 and 190/112. I have been looking at WPG and Spearhead Militaria.

I have been reading and it seems some guys go up a size for their impressions. Is this what is required? Obviously I want to get it right when ordering online.

The other thing is for gaiters, they have size 3 and 4. Which of these is the one I need? I am boot size 11.
Johann Hansen
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All depends where you order from, but I often find most shops it's best to order a size up just in case their sizing is off or something.

You can always throw it in the dryer to shrink it or get it tailored hell of a lot easier then you can add!

Plus in the colder months, you can add a layer or two as needed.
Yorkie
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most places go smaller on the sizes to cut their costs, going up a size usually doesn't hurt. And at least you can still wear it if it is a little big.

For the gaiters, I would go with 4's. We're a lot bigger now.

(Re-enactor)Sgt. Glynn Tromans, 3 Tp, 3rd Para Sqdn, RE.
Backspasm
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure to order a size up on the boots if you intend to get ammo boots. They are leather with no insulation or cushioning so you will want to double your socks or get some inserts.

Cpl Ian McNish (Re-Enactor) 6th airborne
obsolete

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backspasm wrote:
Make sure to order a size up on the boots if you intend to get ammo boots. They are leather with no insulation or cushioning so you will want to double your socks or get some inserts.

Thanks for the tips guys. Now it has been my experience that getting the leather boots wet while my foot is in them will help with break in. One of my Army friends advised me this will help. I have Goretex Canadian Army boots for my modern loadout and some Magnums that are work issue and it helped with both sets. Those Ammo Boots look quite uncomfortable.
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you are eventually doing two impressions you can save some money and go with the US Jump boots. They work for both impressions. The 1CanPara boys got the boots when they trained with the 101st. They wouldn't have worn them on Parade but did in combat.

They have a setup of a 1CanPara Trooper at the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa and they have him wearing the US Jump boots.

Also for sizing of the uniform... get in touch with Kevin (I believe he is in your neck of the woods) and try his on to get an idea for size. He ordered his stuff from WPG.
obsolete

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leecas wrote:
Since you are eventually doing two impressions you can save some money and go with the US Jump boots. They work for both impressions. The 1CanPara boys got the boots when they trained with the 101st. They wouldn't have worn them on Parade but did in combat.

They have a setup of a 1CanPara Trooper at the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa and they have him wearing the US Jump boots.

Also for sizing of the uniform... get in touch with Kevin (I believe he is in your neck of the woods) and try his on to get an idea for size. He ordered his stuff from WPG.

Excellent! US jump boots it is then.

I do meet up with Kevin quite a bit so I will ask him to see his items.

Thanks guys!
Joe

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The denison actually needs to be too big for you when doing 1 Can Para. The denison was designed to go over all you kit when you jumped so make sure that is actually a size too big in reality.

I've had no problems at soldier of fortune for sidings, there's are often accurate. However it is British so shipping costs will be a big issue.

But as the guys say, if they're often smaller than what they say get bigger sizes. But I know fr an accurate impression the Denison should be bigger than you what would wear (if you plan to buy it of course).
buellxbk

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just so happens my friend that the fellow I deal with up my end of the country has a pair of US/Canadian jump boots sitting on the shelf and I believe they are your size. Way to big for me and I'm size 9 and they are in beautiful shape. I need to do a tour over to see him some weekend so lets set up a Saturday your off and you can take a look. He may have other stuff you need as well.
obsolete

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buellxbk wrote:
It just so happens my friend that the fellow I deal with up my end of the country has a pair of US/Canadian jump boots sitting on the shelf and I believe they are your size. Way to big for me and I'm size 9 and they are in beautiful shape. I need to do a tour over to see him some weekend so lets set up a Saturday your off and you can take a look. He may have other stuff you need as well.

Sounds like a plan Kevin. I'm off this Saturday and the next two after that.
DRK242 has my phone number if you need it.
This Saturday I have to be home for 1630, some guy is picking up my race car.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> Allied Uniforms All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: