Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index Ontario WWII Re-enactors
This forum is where WWII Re-enactors can share their knowledge
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't Access Website from Other Computers/Servers

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> OWWIIR Website
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Joe



Joined: 11 Feb 2012
Posts: 105
Location: Luton (UK)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Can't Access Website from Other Computers/Servers Reply with quote

I was trying to access the forum at the school when I was told that the server was banned. I thought this a was a bit weird, as I signed up at school, but believed it to be a case of it's a public server so that would be why. However, today at my friends house I logged in this morning and everything worked fine. Yet in the afternoon I was told his server had been banned. Am I just unlucky or is there something wrong with the banning system (which I presume was put up to stop bots). I don't seem to be having this problem at home.

Thanks for your help.
Joe.
_________________
Sarge: We'll join the fight after the three booms.
Private: Boom, boom, boom.
Me: Does that mean now?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
leecas
SITE ADMIN


Joined: 31 Dec 1969
Posts: 3558
Location: London, Ontario

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't Access Website from Other Computers/Servers Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
I was trying to access the forum at the school when I was told that the server was banned. I thought this a was a bit weird, as I signed up at school, but believed it to be a case of it's a public server so that would be why. However, today at my friends house I logged in this morning and everything worked fine. Yet in the afternoon I was told his server had been banned. Am I just unlucky or is there something wrong with the banning system (which I presume was put up to stop bots). I don't seem to be having this problem at home.

Thanks for your help.
Joe.


We've been having a great deal of problems with spambots and I have started to be more aggressive in banning entire IP address strings and not just the single IP. These are mostly from China and Russia.

But the IP's that you are speaking of could be part of these IP strings. If you let me know the IP adresses I can check them against what has been banned.

My fear of banning entire strings was that it could ban non-bot IPs. But that was a chance I had to take because we were getting 20 to 30 fake accounts created each day. Now I am down to 2 or 3 per day. It's a pain in the ass to have to clean up these accounts and there is no way to do but to do them one at a time.
_________________
1Lt. Lee Cassar (Re-enactor)
Dog Company 2/506th
101st Airborne
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
shiftyc



Joined: 07 May 2010
Posts: 175
Location: Toronto, Ontario

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me.. when I was on vacation at Hong Kong... When I tried accessing the forums, it told me I was banned.
_________________


Pte. Will T (Re-enactor) - 1st Can Para - British 6th Airborne Div.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
leecas
SITE ADMIN


Joined: 31 Dec 1969
Posts: 3558
Location: London, Ontario

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shiftyc wrote:
This reminds me.. when I was on vacation at Hong Kong... When I tried accessing the forums, it told me I was banned.


That one I get.
_________________
1Lt. Lee Cassar (Re-enactor)
Dog Company 2/506th
101st Airborne
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Joe



Joined: 11 Feb 2012
Posts: 105
Location: Luton (UK)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Can't Access Website from Other Computers/Servers Reply with quote

leecas wrote:
Joe wrote:
I was trying to access the forum at the school when I was told that the server was banned. I thought this a was a bit weird, as I signed up at school, but believed it to be a case of it's a public server so that would be why. However, today at my friends house I logged in this morning and everything worked fine. Yet in the afternoon I was told his server had been banned. Am I just unlucky or is there something wrong with the banning system (which I presume was put up to stop bots). I don't seem to be having this problem at home.

Thanks for your help.
Joe.


We've been having a great deal of problems with spambots and I have started to be more aggressive in banning entire IP address strings and not just the single IP. These are mostly from China and Russia.

But the IP's that you are speaking of could be part of these IP strings. If you let me know the IP adresses I can check them against what has been banned.

My fear of banning entire strings was that it could ban non-bot IPs. But that was a chance I had to take because we were getting 20 to 30 fake accounts created each day. Now I am down to 2 or 3 per day. It's a pain in the ass to have to clean up these accounts and there is no way to do but to do them one at a time.


I presumed that was case. I don't have the IP addresses to hand but I may be able to get hold of them. I just found it weird that I was allowed to log on in the morning but not in the afternoon.
_________________
Sarge: We'll join the fight after the three booms.
Private: Boom, boom, boom.
Me: Does that mean now?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
leecas
SITE ADMIN


Joined: 31 Dec 1969
Posts: 3558
Location: London, Ontario

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't get that part myself. If it was working in the morning it should have been working in the afternoon. I really don't ban IPs from the UK. If you do get them just PM them to me... don't publish them on here.
_________________
1Lt. Lee Cassar (Re-enactor)
Dog Company 2/506th
101st Airborne
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
LastSpartan



Joined: 05 Nov 2010
Posts: 115
Location: Montreal, Qc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leecas, you should set a question captcha.

I have it on my website and didn't get a single spam bot.

On mine, the question is on what day was D-Day.

Because at first even my IP was banned. And I don't live in Russia Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
*crash*
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER


Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 768

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LastSpartan wrote:
Leecas, you should set a question captcha.

I have it on my website and didn't get a single spam bot.

On mine, the question is on what day was D-Day.

Because at first even my IP was banned. And I don't live in Russia Wink


So YOU say Comrade ! Mr. Green
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
leecas
SITE ADMIN


Joined: 31 Dec 1969
Posts: 3558
Location: London, Ontario

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LastSpartan wrote:
Leecas, you should set a question captcha.

I have it on my website and didn't get a single spam bot.

On mine, the question is on what day was D-Day.

Because at first even my IP was banned. And I don't live in Russia Wink


Isn't Quebec part of Russia? Wink

But Seriously, PM me on how you did that. I don't think I have that option on mine.
_________________
1Lt. Lee Cassar (Re-enactor)
Dog Company 2/506th
101st Airborne
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
LastSpartan



Joined: 05 Nov 2010
Posts: 115
Location: Montreal, Qc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=561677

Maybe you should think upgrading to PHPBB3, safer and still supported.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
leecas
SITE ADMIN


Joined: 31 Dec 1969
Posts: 3558
Location: London, Ontario

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LastSpartan wrote:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=561677

Maybe you should think upgrading to PHPBB3, safer and still supported.


Thanks... I think this will help.
_________________
1Lt. Lee Cassar (Re-enactor)
Dog Company 2/506th
101st Airborne
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
LastSpartan



Joined: 05 Nov 2010
Posts: 115
Location: Montreal, Qc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure that you put all "possible" answers. For example the question on ww2quebec is : On what date was D-Day? June ----th 1944.

Answers I put are : 6, six, 6th, sixth, SIX, 6TH, SIXTH.

Just in case

Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> OWWIIR Website All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group