Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index Ontario WWII Re-enactors
This forum is where WWII Re-enactors can share their knowledge

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Improvised Magazine Pouch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> Gear/Uniforms
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdkfz234

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Improvised Magazine Pouch Reply with quote

I have a M1A1 Thompson to go along with my DAK uniform (???), and over the past week I've been brainstorming ways to carry my magazines with me. I don't want a large "breadbag" type pouch, or even an SMG magazine pouch like the ones for the MP40, although I think they could fit.

I'm trying to achieve a "clean", minimalist look, without too much gear and stuff hanging off the uniform. The two upper pockets of the jacket are too small, and putting the magazines into the larger, lower pockets would work but would look awkward if positioned for easy access, and be too hard to get if completely concealed.

After much thought, the decision I arrived at was to carry my magazines underneath my jacket, instead of outside on a belt or external pouch. With the upcoming WW2 milsim only days away, plus the difficulty in finding a system that would meet my needs, I decided to make my own concealed magazine holster.

The final design that I arrived at was constructed out of pieces of a cardboard box, which ironincally is the same box which my magazines arrived in. Essentially, I cut out and folded a piece of cardbox such that it forms a rectangular tube which two magazines can fit in. Then I taped it up to maintain its shape and closed off one end of the tube to stop the magazines from sliding out. Lastly, I cut out two slits on one of the longer sides of the tube and fed a piece 1" wide black nylon webbing through in order to allow the magazine pouch to be worn just under my right arm.

Truthfully, it is not WW2 authentic and it sure ain't pretty, but it appears to accomplish its task. It is not the most comfortable piece to wear, mostly due to the size of the magazines itself, but it is almost unnoticeable underneath my jacket. Furthermore, the DAK tropical tunic is an open-collar type jacket, similar to a traditional suit jacket. Therefore, there is sufficient room for me to reach into my jacket without unbuttoning it and grab a fresh magazine. This would not be possible with the tradition German tunics that most of us are accustomed to seeing.

I will try to take some pictures later on, but for now, if you want to see what I've made, just find me at the October 29th FR game. Just promise not to laugh too much when you do.
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may not be authentic but as you said it is under your uniform so it will not be seen. The true test will be this weekend when you use it in the game.

It's also a captured weapon so the chances are you would not have had anything to carry extra mags.
sdkfz234

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leecas wrote:
It's also a captured weapon so the chances are you would not have had anything to carry extra mags.

That's exactly the entire theme/impression I'm going for here.

Found an abandoned M1A1 during some sort of fracas. Wouldn't have much time to find a MP40 magazine pouch and stuff them with Thompson magazines, would I?

That being said, it's still an airsoft game and I do need more than just the magazine in my gun.

Who was it who said, "Necessity is the mother of invention"? (Googled it, Plato)
Dogfood
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use the German Gas Cape Bag or the machine gunners tool kit pouch to hold the tompson mags. Both are worn on the belt, and would be easy to get your mags in a fire fight. On second thought I'm not sure if the high-cap mags would fit in the machine gunners pouch. So stick to low caps and you should be fine.
sdkfz234

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did a quick comparision of the M1A1 mags and the MP40 mags, and I don't think mine will fit in the MP40 pouch because of the rail on the M1A1 magazine.

I saw that gas cape bag somewhere and it looked interesting. I'll see if I can find another substitute item first. When it comes to the DAK, substitute is not a forbidden word. Razz

My "homemade" magazine holster actually worked surprisingly well. First, it accomplished its goal of keeping my magazines and thus I did not lose any. It's not as quick to reload as an external magazine pouch, but it was still workable because of the open-collar tunic that I have.

An interesting note, the first time I got hit during the game was when I was trying to reload. My Thompson starting making a flat-sounding noise when I pulled the trigger. In my refusal to believe that I had already used up 420 rounds, I spent a while winding the gear and slapping the magazine. Finally I gave up, ejected the empty and reached into my tunic to get a fresh low-cap. Just as took out the magazine, a lucky shot hit me in my left hand.

Aboout the high-cap vs low-cap, both the 420 round and the 60 round magazines are the same size. Its only the 190 round (mid-cap) that is shorter. Since the game had ammo limits anyways, I really did not need to carry any more magazines than what I had. My intention was really to use the low-caps as emergency ammo, or a way to defend myself as I ran back to the respawn area to reload.

I wonder if it would kill the WW2 theme if I simply taped two magazines together. Embarassed
*crash*
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about using the bread bag? Might work as a stop gap measure...
lawdog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have an improvished Grenade/holder bags that would be good for your application. I will try to remember to bring it with me next time I'm out.

LD
sdkfz234

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I no longer have the Thompson, so the issue is not relevant now.

However, since I'm pretty much only putting together officer or NCO impressions, I think a map case should work much better. In fact, I just bought one and I'm awaiting it now.

Keith's (eBay) has some FJ items that could be used too. They have a cloth gas mask bag (to replace the gas mask canister), as well as bandoleer-like grenade pouches.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> Gear/Uniforms All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: