Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index Ontario WWII Re-enactors
This forum is where WWII Re-enactors can share their knowledge

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Big Project 2009: US Wall Tent (WIP)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> Field Weapons/Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
youonlywish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Big Project 2009: US Wall Tent (WIP) Reply with quote

TENT, FIRE-RESISTANT, WALL, SMALL, OLIVE-DRAB

Quote:

TENT, FIRE-RESISTANT, WALL, SMALL, OLIVE-DRAB, Stock No. 24-T-323
Introduced in 1941 . Used for shelter of TWO Officers, when in the field and not in combat . When necessary, this tent may also be used as a small storage tent . This tent is 8 feet x 10 inches wide, 9 feet 2 inches long, and 8 feet 6 inches high . Floor is approximately 80 square feet . The tent is an A-type, square-ended tent, rectangular in shape . All elements, such as top, side walls and reinforcements are made of 12.29 ounce duck while the sod cloth is made of 9.85 ounce duck . Ridge height is 8 feet 6 inches, wall height is 3 feet 9 inches, giving a pitch of 4 feet 9 inches . Each end section has an overlapping slit forming a door, while stovepipe openings are provided at either end of the tent . Ventilation is done by rolling up the side walls, and opening slits . When not in use, stovepipe openings may be used as ventilators . Normal use of this wall tent is for ONE General Officer, ONE Field Officer, ONE Captain, TWO Lieutenants or TWO Warrant Officers .

(1) Spindle (2) Door Fastener Line (3) Stovepipe Opening
(4) Door Wall Line (5) Eave Line (6) Foot Stop Line (7) Wall Line ( 8 ) Pin

Click here to see picture [01]
Elements of Small Wall Tent

18 X Lines, Tent, 2’ 6”, Sewed-2-End, ¼” Dia (Door Fastener) – Stock No. 24-L-470
2 X Lines, Tent, 2’ 6”, Sewed-2-End, ¼” Dia (Door Wall Line) – Stock No. 24-L-470
10 X Lines, Tent, 8’ w/Eye, ¼” Dia (Eave Line) – Stock No. 24-L-515
18 X Lines, Tent, Foot Stop, ¼” Dia (Foot Stop) – Stock No. 24-L-448
10 X Pins, Tent, 24” – Stock No. 24-P-59
18 X Pins, Tent, 16” – Stock No. 24-P-49
4 X Lines, Tent, 4’ 6”, Sewed-2-End, ¼” Dia (Lacing Line) – Stock No. 24-L-490
10 X Slips, Tent, Wire – Stock No. 24-S-1070
2 X Poles, Tent, Upright, 9’ – Stock No. 24-P-253
1 X Pole, Tent, Ridge, 9’, Wall, Small – Stock No. 24-P-112
2 X Lines, Tent, 3’ 4”, Sewed-1-End, ¼” Dia (Door Flap Line) – Stock No. 24-L-479-50

NOTE : ground cloths are not generally used with Army tentage – however, wall and pyramidal tents very frequently use a wooden floor, which again makes digging a ditch around the tent unnecessary – one tent stove with necessary accessories is used fore heating this tent …

FLY, TENT, FIRE-RESISTANT, WALL, SMALL, OLIVE-DRAB, Stock No. 24-F-150
Introduced in 1941 . Tents, FR, Wall, Small, are normally provided with a fly which is an auxiliary canvas roof used with a tent to shed rain and to make the tent cooler, while providing space between fly and ridge for proper air circulation . The fly may also be erected as a completely separate unit for use as a protection for supplies, equipment, or for cooking purposes – flies were no longer in use after August 1944 !

Elements of Fly (when used individually) :

10 X Pins, Tent, 24” – Stock No. 24-P-59
1 X Pole, Tent, Ridge, 9’, Wall, Small – Stock No. 24-P-114
2 X Poles, Tent, Upright, 9’ – Stock No. 24-P-253
10 X Lines, Tent, 8’, w/Eye, ¼” Dia (Eave Line) – Stock No. 24-L-515
10 X Slips, Tent, Wire – Stock No. 24-S-1070

Hey folks.

Okay, so, my project for this year. I want to make a wall tent, specifically, a small US GP tent. These are the closest specs I could find.

PICS:
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/3085549/2/istockphoto_3085549-medical-tent-reenactors-for-wwii.jpg

http://users.skynet.be/jeeper/wallsmall1.jpg

http://users.skynet.be/jeeper/wallsmall.jpg
====

Now, I'm in only the planning stages. I KNOW I can make this tent WAY cheaper than I could ever buy one. Problem being, I can't seem to find great pictures to use for reference. The part I'm having a hard time visualizing specifically is the frame.

From what I can tell, it's a simple A frame, with poles for support in the middle on both long sides. I can't tell, however, if there are support poles from the ground up, vertical, to support the 'wall', if there are poles running along the long side horizontally to create a 'hard' seam separating the 'roof' from the 'wall', if there is a pole running from tip to tip at the top of the A... ect.

I'm going to sketch out some idea's for a workable, cheap frame. Wooden, ovbiously.

I have a few people looking for cheap OD canvas. I'm constantly on the hunt for it. Any idea's?

I'll post updates in this thread.
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy,

You will need three poles... front, middle and back... you will need a fourth pole that runs horizontally from the front to the back.
No poles are needed for the side walls. You need tie -off ropes at the sides that are pegged, then you peg the bottum of the wall straight down.

Hard to explain without drawing a picture.

Funny I just came across a web site selling canvas when I was looking for material for the camo net that I'm making. I'll see if I can find it again.
youonlywish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks lee.

Having never been inside one, it's really hard to tell from rough pictures.

Once I have the canvas, I'm home free.

None at walmart.
youonlywish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect.
Found someone in town that sells canvas, OD none the less.

18$/yd - 60"w
or
7$/yd - 36" w (lighter fabric.)
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youonlywish wrote:
Perfect.
Found someone in town that sells canvas, OD none the less.

18$/yd - 60"w
or
7$/yd - 36" w (lighter fabric.)

Hey Billy, what are you going to use to sew the seams? You're going to need an industrial sewing machine for that.
youonlywish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think I may have an outlet for that.
If that dosn't work out, it's next on my list of stuff to find.
youonlywish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also found some easier-to-understand measurements:

Characteristics:

* This tent is 8’ 10” wide, 9’ 2” long and 7’ 6” high.
* The floor space is approximately 80 sq feet.
* The top, side walls, and all reinforcements are made of 12.29-ounce duck and the sod cloth is made of 9.85-ounce duck.
* This tent has a ridge height of 7’ 6” and a wall height of 3’ 3”.
* There are two stovepipe openings built into the tent, one at each end. This allows you to use the M1941 stove at either end.
* The tent can be ventilated by rolling up the side walls
* Improves your display
* Attracts the opposite sex…

The specifications of the Small Wall Tent:

Qty 2 – 2.4m upright poles
Qty 1 – 2.7m ridge pole
Qty 28 – 30cm pegs

NOTE – the upright poles are 8’ high. The tent ridge is 7’ 6” high. Historically the poles were 6” longer to allow them to be dug into the ground on even ground to ensure your tent is level. You can follow this method or you can remove the extra 6” with a saw.

==========

After just sitting down to try to figure out how many yards of canvas I need total... I found out I'm terrible at math.
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to go with the 60" wide convas you will need the following:

10 yards for the walls and roof + 2 yards extra (at least) for seams and waste.

12 yards for the front and back walls. You will have plenty for seams and waste in these areas.

So I figure you would need 24 to 25 yards.

I would go with the 60" wide to try to have as few seams as possible.

You could go with 60" for the wall and roof and then go with the lighter stuff for the front and back... for cost cutting. You could also get away with just using the 60" just for the roof.

Billy, if you go with the 36" for the whole thing then your yardage is going to change and you will have more seams. But you cost will be less.
Recon
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have 4 of those tents in muskoka we want to set up for the game... there sweet little tents , takes a few guys to set them up tho lol....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> Field Weapons/Gear All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: