Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index Ontario WWII Re-enactors
This forum is where WWII Re-enactors can share their knowledge

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A tale of two M1's...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> Gear/Uniforms
View previous topic :: View next topic  
youonlywish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: A tale of two M1's... Reply with quote

So, to get things started...
I bought 2 M1's off of ASC, both vn liners, one complete liner, one only headband... One painted like a vommiting trainwreck.

So, after a couple coats of OD spray. In the same order.. the punisher one on the left. The OD one is a little darker, and even with a good 40 mins of sanding, could break the coats of black and white on the punisher helmet.

I couldnt find any Krylon Camo OD, so used this new kind instead. I was VERY impressed with the finish. The flash plays a little shiney on the helmet, but it's a REALLY nice colour. It's a lot lighter, a more true Olive than my Para helmet.

I've aged the helmet and simulated the cork finish using very fine sand. You can see the texture.

I'm going to paint the markings on and age the left helmet (was the punisher helmet) significantly. The right helmet, to be used by Amy for her WAC impression, will be 'like new'. Though, we probably won't retrofit it with the proper straps just yet.

Will update with markings and aging techniques.
youonlywish

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished the markings on my helmet. This used to be the punisher one.

Easy, welcome you're new medic... I'm going for the 'been through it all' medic look. Not the fresh off the line type of helmet. I think it looks good.... nice and worn in.

I also aged it as best I could.

baker_jeff
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work! I'm sure the helmet is VERY grateful for the makeover. Very Happy
#8, 14220 Yellowhead Trail NW
Souk
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHA, yeah, as cool as the Punisher is, i think its kind of a discrace to do that to a buitifly M1. I realy like the looks of it. How did you add the texture (sand) to it? Im currius, because i think it adds alot to it. Just a qustion tho? Where helmets textred like that? i remember seeing pictures indicating this, but i have never been up close to see one (as well as in your pics). And why would they add this texture? was it to reduce glair and add camo?
youonlywish

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I addedthe sand by sprinkleing it onto a coat of wet paint. It add's a 'corking' effect to the helmet. The guys used to put grated cork on the helmets, at best to remove glare and prevent damage from the elements I believe.
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also use texture spray paint. Spray a coat or two of the textured paint before you spray the OD.

There are aslo some guys that sell bags or ground up cork on ebay.

I use the textured paint and it works well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> Gear/Uniforms All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: