Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index Ontario WWII Re-enactors
This forum is where WWII Re-enactors can share their knowledge

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marushin Kar98

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Marushin Kar98 Reply with quote

The following review was written by PanzerGrenadier (aka Mr.Ptrap on ASC)

My very first airsoft gun was a Marushin Karabiener 98k. This gun is an 8mm gas powered weapon. I bought this gun for my future reenactments and also for display. The realism of the gun is what made me want to buy it at a hefty $750.

The very first time I opened the package, I was really impressed.
The guns colour is very beautiful, resembles walnut. Although after examining the gun a little closer, I realised that it is not Walnut at all but rather some other type of wood made to look like walnut. Still, it is very nice to the touch, after all it is still wood.

The first problem I noticed was the loose handguards. I quickly fixed this problem by taking them down and putting padding under the wood, made of electrical tape and some paper. Besides that the gun was exceptional.

The receiver is Heavy weight ABS and is not as bad as other people would claim it is. The trigger guard, and magwell is ABS as well. The Metal parts include the Bolt, rear sight, butt plate, trigger, and outer barrel.

This gun is one of the oddest airsoft weapons regarding function. I'd say it has one of the most realistic functions, compared to other guns. You have 5 brass shells in which you must put one 8mm BB. These shells are loaded in the EXACT same manner as the real steel Kar 98k, either with a stripper clip or individually. (I prefer the latter, since the stripper clip slows you down a lot, unless you have multiple clips) The bolt holds the gas, oddly, which is enough for about 20 shots. The firing mechanism of the gun is very close to that of the Real k98. As you cock the bolt, the sear holds the cock/firing pin in place. In the Marushin K98's case the firing pin is actually a plunger. After pulling the trigger the plunger launches forward hitting a valve, which than releases a burst of gas.
Thus the Marushin k98 is one of the few airsoft weapons in which the trigger has a leaway, unlike AEG's.

The bolt tends to leak with the use of propane, sometimes the vent valve can be annoying, since it releases gas, thus lowering FPS.

Firing the gun:
The gun being an 8mm is a great disadventage. The larger diameter of the BB makes the projectile tend to be instable especially with .36 bb's.
Adjusting the hop-up takes a while, it is located under the rear sight. It is a slot head screw. To add hop up, tunr screw clockwise, to take hop up off turn scre counter-clockwise. It will take a while to adjust.

The gun is actually pretty powerful if you can make the propane stay in the bolt. I chronied 380 FPS with propane at about 10 degrees Celsius. Its not impossible to have the gun shoot around 500FPS in nice hot weather with propane.

Altough it seems extremely hard to play with this gun since it has shells, I'd say its not true. All you have to do is not open the bolt in a fast manner. You can easily extract the shells, with considerable speed. And if you are complaining, then maybe than bolt action isn't for you.

I particularly found this gun useful on the defense, since you are mainly stationary, keeping an eye on the shells is easy and the accuracy(compared to GBB's and some AEGS) of the gun gives you advantage.

Overall this is a very nice airsoft rifle, but it is made by Marushin; and we know that Marushin is the unique airsoft company that is trying to revolutionize airsoft by introducing 8mm BB's, super realistic functions, WW2 weapons etc, so far in vain.

The Marushin kar98 was a great idea, but it was way overengineered with the gas chamber inside the bolt and ultra realistic functions.
But since I am a realism junky, I really appreciate it.

I only recomend this rifle to hardcore realism fans/reenactors who are willing to get into the WW2-feel-of-bolt-action rifles who also enjoy airsoft.
But for Airsoft fans, who arent looking for that realism but rather for that "flyingbbfunfactor"/newbs, I suggest something easier to use like Tanaka Bolt action weapons.
MrEvolution
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking on grabbing one of these, but I was afraid Id lose the shells to it :\
That huge price also throws me off now.
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to look at the Tanaka Kar98... I believe it's bolt action and doesn't use shells. pvt. Ivan has one and might be able to shed some light on the subject. However, I don't think the price is much cheaper if at all.

It's the same as the M1 Garand at approx. $800. Nice rifle and I will mostly likely get one one day but today isn't that day.
Cheese

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leecas wrote:
You might want to look at the Tanaka Kar98... I believe it's bolt action and doesn't use shells. pvt. Ivan has one and might be able to shed some light on the subject. However, I don't think the price is much cheaper if at all.

I think the biggest problem is that the rifle seems to be sold out everywhere Confused I don't know why tanaka doesn't produce a new batch.
PanzerGrenadier
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a couple of weeks ago that 1 marushin K98 was on sale at ASC.

Mason was selling it for 500$, proly still there, 500$ isnt bad for this gun, unlike 800 Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: