Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index Ontario WWII Re-enactors
This forum is where WWII Re-enactors can share their knowledge

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

US Paratrooper M42 Jump Suit from Spearhead-Militaria

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: US Paratrooper M42 Jump Suit from Spearhead-Militaria Reply with quote

So lets start off with a little background... I bought my first M42 uniform from www.ww2militaria-kcs.com (his ebay store) and I was very happy with it. Good quality, price, shipped quickly and came with two extra packets (which you have to sew yourself), flag and screaming eagle patch. The only problem with it is that it fit perfectly, no room for growth or shrinkage due to washing. So, when my nephew Mark joined Easy Company I thought hey he can buy my old uniform and I will buy a new one. He gets a uniform at a good price and I get a new one... a win win situation.

So, why didn't I buy my new uniform from www.ww2militaria-kcs.com again you ask? Well Mark wanted to buy a pair of jump boots and I bought mine from Spearhead-Militaria and I figured that I could order both the new uniform and boots from him and save on the shipping. So that's what I did.

Saved $15 on shipping and received both the uniform and boots in less then a week. He marked everything as a gift so did not have to pay any Canadian taxes.

When I took out the uniform I could tell that it was not as heavy as my old uniform. The material is closer to a heavy shirt then a jacket. I compared it to my old uniform and I was correct, the new uniform material is much lighter in weight. Because the material is thinner it tends to hold the wrinkles more.

This time around I ordered a larger size, I usually take a 42R and this time I ordered a 44R. The fit is pretty good but it was surprising that even though I ordered a larger size how tight the cuffs are when they are done up. It's a good thing that I do not have fat wrists. Or large feet for that matter since the bottom of the pants are pretty tight as well.

The other flaw that I noticed is the the reinforced elbows do not seem to cover my elbows. Half the elbow is covered and the other half isn't. Now, I can't tell if this is because the Jacket is a lettle bigger then I would wear or if it's a mistake. Again, comparing it to my old uniform the reinforcement material on the new uniform is not as large as the reinforment material on the old uniform.

One of the other things that I do not like on the new uniform compared to the old uniform are the pocket tie-off straps on the pants. The old uniform starps are made from webbing (which would be what the riggers would have used) and the new uniform straps are made from the same material as the uniform.

The belt on the new uniform is huge, it goes around my waist one and a half times and is not attached to the back of the uniform. The old uniform belt is attached at the back and fits with a gew inches to spare making for a cleaner look.

PROs

* $105 USD plus shipping $30 USD
* It looks like a M42 uniform
* The lighter material will make it more comfortable in the summer
* Will not have to worry about shrinking it in the wash. There is plenty of room if that happens. I should note that they state that the uniform will not shrink in the wash.
* Plenty of room to waer a T-shirt, Shirt and sweater underneath the jacket.

CONs

* I little more cost then www.ww2militaria-kcs.com uniform, not much but there is a difference. Still cheaper then ATTHEFRONT's uniforms.
* You only get one pocket and a screaming eagle patch.
* Pocket ties not made from webbing material
* Material is lighter - may not hold up as well in regard to the wear and tear of the field.
* Will most likely have to iron the uniform after the wash
* Will need to wear more clothing in colder weather.
* Jacket tight around the wirsts
* Pants tight around the ankles

CONCLUSION

I think if I hadn't of purchased a uniform prior to this one I would most likely have been happy with my purchase. However, that is not the case and if I had it to over again I would have purchased the new uniform from www.ww2militaria-kcs.com and gone with a larger size. I think the quality is better and you get a little more at a little lower price. I should also note that I purchased both uniforms from their e-bay stores.

Just remember, if you order your uniform from Spearhead-Militaria order it the correct size. And if you order your uniform from www.ww2militaria-kcs.com order it the next size up.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by leecas on Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total
MrEvolution
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, now I got a much harder decision haha.
ATF vs ww2kcs.
Fader

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on for a bit.

I'm waiting for my ATF Import M1942 Reinforced Paratrooper Uniform to come in... I'll try and do a review.
MrEvolution
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet. sounds good fader. gotta beef up the xmas list anyway, I got squat.
MrEvolution
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any news fader?
Fader

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received them on Friday but have a bit of an issue with regards to sizing of the pants.

I'll keep you updated.

Although I must say that if you can get the M42 Reinforced Paratrooper Uniform Set, IMPORT from ATF of eBay for $99 USD you can't go wrong.

Cheers
MrEvolution
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright man thanks. Sucks they sent you the wrong pants though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: