Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index Ontario WWII Re-enactors
This forum is where WWII Re-enactors can share their knowledge

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fury... What did you think

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Fury... What did you think Reply with quote

Well, I finally saw Fury. I enjoyed it but would I say that it's the best war movie ever?... Ahhh... I think not. They had me until the final battle... then they went way over the top.

Also, why was Pitt wearing Staff Sgt strips but when Norman first meets Pitt he calls him 1st Sgt? And the rest of his crew call him top... again the name you would call a 1st Sgt.

What did you think or mistakes that you caught.
Wolfgang Schwarz
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not bad for an action movie but honestly, I was expecting it to be something different. Something more realistic and historically accurate. I guess I expect too much Smile If you haven't seen it yet and don't want to see spoilers, don't read my post.

There were some minor things that stood out, things like a German soldier sticking his head into enemy tank's hatch right after that same tank took out 150 of his friends. Allied soldier firing .30cal MG on the move. 2 hand grenades going off inside of a tank next to people and than you see bodies with some blood on them instead of entire crew compartment painted with human guts.
There were also things that made me want to scream Smile
Tactics used by German infantry during last 30 minutes of the movie. If real Germans used same tactics than Red Army would be in Berlin by 1942 because there would be no Germans left to fight. German officer giving the speech like a soviet politruk in 1941 and sending waves of his men to the meat grinder. Battle with Tiger is another gem. Honestly, I was not surprised by the battle scene since I knew that apparently Wargaming - developers of tank arcade called "World of Tanks" had their hands in creation of Fury. From my understanding Tigers were not just being handed out to any crew. Not like in a game where anybody can buy a Tiger. Tiger in that scene acted like it was operated by inexperienced World of Tanks player. There was absolutely no logic in that battle. Using element of surprise to attack weakest target out of 4, destroying everything but the most dangerous tank, than leaving the bushes, charging across open field and playing "side hugging" game WoT style with enemy that weights 20 tons less and has a gun capable of knocking out your tank with 1 hit at point blank range. I used to see that a lot when I played WoT but didn't expect to see it in the movie Smile

baronsass

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the charge of the 4 Shermans at the treeline in one of the earlier battles, the inaccuracy of the German AT gunners was breathtaking. And why on earth was there an MG position out in the open, in the middle of a field?
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree... that's why I said that they went way over the top with the last scenes. Even an inexperienced officer would have just waited and in the cover of darkness sent a few men to blast the tank. You don't need to open the hatch all the way to drop in a few nades.

Plus, Norman sees the Germans marching towards their position and he runs back to tell Pitt that they are coming. What took them so long? Did they all of a sudden stop to take a rest because Pitt and the boys had enough time to argue about going or staying and to setup their "trap".

And yes, why did the Tiger leave the tree line? It would have just sat their taking out the Shermans. The Shermans should have gotten their asses out of their and flanked the Tiger.

I know... it's just a movie and I should just enjoy it. And I did but it's hard not to cut it up because they still could have made it action packed and enjoyable without making it "Hollywood".

Just saying....
Wolfgang Schwarz
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee, I guess you and I are just those guys who got a bit disappointed.
I heard nothing but positive response from many people I know . Maybe you and I just expected something different. Maybe we just expect too much from movies...
I already posted my opinion in our private group and I will post it again. I really don't care who gets bumped in the movie as long as the movie gets to me. After watching Fury I felt that directors relied on two things in order to attract the viewers. Violence and real tanks being involved. Violence in a very bad way, huge gory overkill and tanks that behaved like it was from a computer game.
Wolfgang Schwarz
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baronsass wrote:
During the charge of the 4 Shermans at the treeline in one of the earlier battles, the inaccuracy of the German AT gunners was breathtaking. And why on earth was there an MG position out in the open, in the middle of a field?

I noticed that too but figured, oh well, tanks were on the move "very slow move" but still on the move and maybe the defenders were mostly Jugend who had never really had experience in firing those 7.5cm PAK's at a slow moving armor...
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfgang Schwarz wrote:
Lee, I guess you and I are just those guys who got a bit disappointed.
I heard nothing but positive response from many people I know . Maybe you and I just expected something different. Maybe we just expect too much from movies...
I already posted my opinion in our private group and I will post it again. I really don't care who gets bumped in the movie as long as the movie gets to me. After watching Fury I felt that directors relied on two things in order to attract the viewers. Violence and real tanks being involved. Violence in a very bad way, huge gory overkill and tanks that behaved like it was from a computer game.

Well, I heard nothing but good things about it so maybe I was expecting more. And I could have been fine with most of the movie... but the ending was just over the top... and you just sit there and go... Yeah okay.
Boche
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So….about as accurate as Inglorious Bastards?
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boche wrote:
So….about as accurate as Inglorious Bastards?

Oh don't even get me started on I B. No, it's better then IB. Like I said they had me until the end. I think it would have been a much better film if they had stuck to tank battles. Say like there were a couple of tigers out there that were just smashing everything up and they had to find and distroy them. I think that would have been a much better story then a liam duck tank chopping up infantry because they just attack from the front.

Last edited by leecas on Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Baker
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IB Is a awesome movie! I loved it!

Fury was awesome as well!!!

Sgt. Scott Hatch (Re-enactor)
Dog Company 2/506th
101st Airborne
leecas
SITE ADMIN

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baker wrote:
IB Is a awesome movie! I loved it!

Fury was awesome as well!!!

We agree to disagree... especially about IB!
Zab

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last stand at end is based off Audey Murphy's final stand although you must remember its Hollywood ... unfortunately movies involving strategy. like the elics of yesteryear just won't make money.
i thought it was great and comeon guys it gets a lot right don't ever think .. honestly ypur never going to get the perfect authenticated masterpiece you.hokd tgese film too

The 1st Infantry Division... The Fighting First, the Big Red One !
Fritz2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with Lee about the last battle scene, no one in their right mind would march a Btn down a road like that without having scouts out way ahead, and what was with the breakfast scene? ARGHHH...can't they just make a war movie without romance in it!!!
Zab

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that scene is called character development lol.... I think its the one of the best in film.

The 1st Infantry Division... The Fighting First, the Big Red One !
MrEvolution
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed both movies, errors and all.
I just shut my brain off and dont keep score Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> WWII All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: