Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index Ontario WWII Re-enactors
This forum is where WWII Re-enactors can share their knowledge

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LBB (Landing Barge Bakery)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: LBB (Landing Barge Bakery) Reply with quote

I've currently been reading 'D-Day: Voices from Normandy' by Robin Neillands and Roderick De Normann. In their chapter on Operation Neptune they talk about the different landing craft used. One that caught my eye was the Landing Barge Bakery that was giving the task of providing fresh bread for the troops on the beach. Nothing like fresh bread to get you going through bullets! lol.

But when I did a quick search online, admittedly mainly google images to see a picture of this thing, nothing came up. I'm now rather intrigued in this and was wondering if anyone had heard or knew anything about this? I'll obviously keep searching for stuff and post it up but any info would be very appreciated.

Joe.
Joe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did a bit of hunting and came across this. Got some more interesting info and even has a pic! Enjoy!

http://www.shipstamps.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7268

Edit: It did have a picture.
buellxbk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very intresting Joe. The British were very good at filling the operational needs of the troops, basicly a floating field kitchen. I remember reading somewhere (The Guns of Normandy by Blackburn I think) about a ration can that could heat itself when activated. I gues also you could throw in the funnies as well, Flail tanks for mine clearing, Crocodile flame throwing tanks and the such. I have a pic somewhere of a willies jeep with just the rims on, no tires for riding on railway tracks. They were always thinking out side the box.
Joe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah and the Americans never wanted to use them. They paid for not using the funnies dearly on Omaha. They were lucky on Utah. lol.

I still think my over-all favourite has to be the tea cube. Such a brilliant invention!

Talking about jeeps, one of my re-enactment pals flagged this up on our facebook page. Neer used in combat, but an experiment to create a flying jeep. Like...awesome! lol.

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FHafner_Rotabuggy&h=WAQG_iVC-AQESwnzECKzRDVzl7VeXwzc--2EgC5kJzCoWmQ
buellxbk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe you won't believe this. Some where around the house I have a WINGS article on that very jeep and to boot I got it as a kid on a trip to England. My dad bought the Magazine for me to read on the plane. I'll have to dig it up. There was some pretty wierd stuff tried during the war all with the best of intentions.
Joe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that sounds interesting! I wonder if anybody has one of those jeeps lying around anywhere...
Yorkie
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lying up to 6 feet underground most likely... lol

(Re-enactor)Sgt. Glynn Tromans, 3 Tp, 3rd Para Sqdn, RE.
buellxbk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am away at a game this weekend but I will try and find the article next week. I remember it was on autogyros that the British were working on and there were pics of that glider jeep and a short right up. If I find it I'll post it up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> WWII All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: