Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index Ontario WWII Re-enactors
This forum is where WWII Re-enactors can share their knowledge

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Helmet Decal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> Gear/Uniforms
View previous topic :: View next topic  
COL.TIKER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Helmet Decal Reply with quote

I got a pair of helmet decals and had no idea how to put them on, so I emailed Hessenantiques and they provided me with the following instrutctions:

1) Cut out you decals as close to the decal as possible.

2) Wet down the area on the helmet you plan to put the decal on with decal setting solution or water.
Soak the decals in water till the decal can easily slide off.

3) Carefully slide the decals off the paper and onto the helmet, being careful not to rip them.

4) Position properly, centered under the air vent and brush lightly with decal setting solution, allow to dry and put on as many coats of decal setting solution as it takes to get it to set on to the surface of the helmet. After the first round dries, I examine the decal and get a very sharp needle and poke any air bubbles. Then apply the next drop of solution directly to the tiny holes you just made. This will soak in and help draw the decal down into those areas.

5) Once the decal is positioned and dry, then apply as many coats of solution until the decal has conformed to the surface of the helmet and all the air bubbles are gone.

6) After the decal is dry and in place, you can spray with a Dull-Coat, for a painted on look

I, however, did not have this "decal setting solution". I just wet the decals, took them off and applied them. They stuck for 3 weeks and now both of them have fallen off. Just thought I give everyone else a heads up. If anyone knows where to get German helmet decals in Toronto, let me know. Don't want to pay shipping for such small things shipped. Oh, and decal setting solution too.

In einem kleinen Unterstand, träumen vom fernen Heimatland.
Johann Hansen
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobby shop for the decal solution stuff.
A buddy of mine has it for the decals on his airplanes/tanks/etc..

I wouldn't worry a whole lot about them though. Later in the war they stopped issuing them out on helmets.
Some people sought them out privately and got them put on anyways though.
shiftsup
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Militarytour.com sells Waffen SS decals for $5.00 + $2.00 shipping. Even after taxes that is less than ten bucks.

Arts and craft stores such as Michaels sell the decal setting solution. It'll be in store where they sell their small sellection of plastic models. At least that is the case in Michaels stores in Waterloo, Cambridge, and Kitchener.
COL.TIKER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys, I'll take a look in Michaels and hobby stores.

Joe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I obviously don't know about Canada, but certainly in the UK you'd find that stuff in model/hobby shops. When I used to make models (this was a long time ago) you could get them for your decals. Though I never did that stuff, Dad didn't trust me. lol. But the decals are still on today. The planes hung from my bedroom ceiling for about 3 years.
COL.TIKER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, but I think one of the reason it came off is because I kept putting my helmet cover on and then taking it off because it wasnt fitting properly.

Dogfood
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COL.TIKER wrote:
I'm not sure, but I think one of the reason it came off is because I kept putting my helmet cover on and then taking it off because it wasnt fitting properly.

If the decal was set properly it wouldn't have come off. You need the setting solution.

Cheers

Rob
COL.TIKER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up the decal setting solution at Michaels. I noticed they have quite a bit of spray paint too. The store I went to was running low on stock and only had a few colours left, but there were a lot of empty spaces. A fully stocked store might have field grey.

shiftsup
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER
FULL SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Michaels stores on Waterloo region are the same. The selection of model paint is hit or miss. But that place has value. Michaels has crazy coupons in their flyer and online at places like flyerland.ca. 30% of your total purchase and 50% off one item. Sometimes even 40% off the total.purchase. Not a bad place to go to get paints, spray paints, hobby stuff, etc for a very good price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ontario WWII Re-enactors Forum Index -> Gear/Uniforms All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: